Discuss Move away from Economy 7 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I am about to buy a property which is on an E7 Tariff with old Night Storage heaters. I want to change the night storage heaters for new Electric heaters using the same electrical supplies to be used during the day and move to a normal Tariff. It is my understanding that the electrical supply to the storage heaters is only on during the low night rate and switched off during the higher day rate. What needs to happen to ensure the electrical supplies are available 24/7 at these outlets? I assume there is a controller? I have not been able to see the electrical CU and meters yet as I have limited access. In time i intend to have a wet Ch system installed.

I agree with Midwest. At the very least, you will need some re-configuaration work done on the off peak fuseboard (it may need changing to meet today's regulations), then you'll need the supplier to change the metering arrangements and tariff to a 24-hour only arrangement. plus you'll need to shell out for panel heaters etc.

Better to keep what you have, for now, save the several hunderd pounds for rejigging it, and get your wet CH system installed.

I think many people do not realise that economy 7 can be quite expensive. Because you are getting the cheap night rate you get a high day rate and it is only worth it if you are using 4Kw or more at night. If you go on the normal tariff electric heating is very expensive. Check the tariff prices carefully before making any decisions.

My eldest had electric heating in a very recent two bed flat, fully insulated etc. Heated just his bedroom & kitchen. Still cost the same as my gas heated 30 year old 4 bed hse.

My eldest had electric heating in a very recent two bed flat, fully insulated etc. Heated just his bedroom & kitchen. Still cost the same as my gas heated 30 year old 4 bed hse.

Sounds like poor insulation and/or multiple door operations.
Taken to extremes,you can heat a full sized property for 4,with a single 100 watt lamp;)

Seen the air-swap,heat-exchange gear demonstrated...very impressive,but difficult to retro-fit.

Probably harder to fit in new-builds,in the UK,due to specific need for the trades to work together,to a high standard....not seen much evidence of THAT,getting more likely,over the years...

Sounds like poor insulation and/or multiple door operations.
Taken to extremes,you can heat a full sized property for 4,with a single 100 watt lamp;)

Seen the air-swap,heat-exchange gear demonstrated...very impressive,but difficult to retro-fit.

Probably harder to fit in new-builds,in the UK,due to specific need for the trades to work together,to a high standard....not seen much evidence of THAT,getting more likely,over the years...

It was one of those new builds, highly insulated allegedly and with heat exchange air handling.

Heated hot water, and electric shower. Still approximately the same running costs as our place.

He left his bedroom heater on one weekend he was away; his fuel DD got raised.

I have a couple of customers who were sold 24/7 electric heaters to replace their storage heaters by an other spark and to their cost found it more expensive to run.

Reply to Move away from Economy 7 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock