Discuss Multi Zone Light Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MrMarkyr

DIY
Reaction score
We are currently in the process of having an extension built (the builder has just started). The extension is for a kitchen diner; and we want 1 set of lights over the kitchen, 1 at the island and 1 by the dining table. I'd like to be able to turn on the kitchen on its own, island on its own, dining area on its own - all simple on their own switches.

Is it possible to have it wired so there is another switch that turns both the kitchen and dining area as well as the individual switches? Do they have have any specific requirements or the switches have a specific name, or even recommended brands?

I don't think I'm looking for a smart switch - I think.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We are currently in the process of having an extension built (the builder has just started). The extension is for a kitchen diner; and we want 1 set of lights over the kitchen, 1 at the island and 1 by the dining table. I'd like to be able to turn on the kitchen on its own, island on its own, dining area on its own - all simple on their own switches.

Is it possible to have it wired so there is another switch that turns both the kitchen and dining area as well as the individual switches? Do they have have any specific requirements or the switches have a specific name, or even recommended brands?

I don't think I'm looking for a smart switch - I think.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
For clarity - I have no intention of installing it, it will be installed by an electrician. I'm just doing research to try and understand it before I speak to them (they are not on the project just yet) so I know the options. Thanks again

There are sophisticated ways, but here is a simpler 'non smart' option. It is a combination of traditional hard-wired and radio.
Use Quinetic receiver switches for each of the kitchen, island and diner
and then a wireless switch paired with the three above to turn them all on or off together:
This scheme could concievably get 'out of sync' if one receiver switch failed to receive a signal, but the others did. Worst case you would need to toggle that individual light that was out of step, but I've never experienced this happening

or if you wanted the 'another' switch to be able to switch combinations, a 3 gang version:

The product range includes receivers that can be fitted at a light, or for a series of lights, so all your switches could be wireless in whatever combination and position you like, without having to run cables in the walls to switches! However my first suggestion above (using traditional hard wiring and receiver switches) has the advantage you can revert to 'normal' switches if needed.

There are also different finishes available on some accessories. See Quinetic wireless switch system - https://www.quinetic.co.uk/
You say you don't want 'smart', but you can venture into that territory with these products if you ever want to!

Last edited:
There are sophisticated ways, but here is a simpler 'non smart' option. It is a combination of traditional hard-wired and radio.
Use Quinetic receiver switches for each of the kitchen, island and diner
and then a wireless switch paired with the three above to turn them all on or off together:
This scheme could concievably get 'out of sync' if one receiver switch failed to receive a signal, but the others did. Worst case you would need to toggle that individual light that was out of step, but I've never experienced this happening

or if you wanted the 'another' switch to be able to switch combinations, a 3 gang version:

The product range includes receivers that can be fitted at a light, or for a series of lights, so all your switches could be wireless in whatever combination and position you like, without having to run cables in the walls to switches! However my first suggestion above (using traditional hard wiring and receiver switches) has the advantage you can revert to 'normal' switches if needed.

There are also different finishes available on some accessories. See Quinetic wireless switch system - https://www.quinetic.co.uk/
You say you don't want 'smart', but you can venture into that territory with these products if you ever want to!
Thank you so much for the advice. I'll look into these links.

You need four switches for the way the OP made it sound. 1 each for kitchen, dining & island, then one for both kitchen and island simultaneously.
It is also possible to do with hard wired setup if he links out the three switch wires.

Some great suggestions above already. Here's a couple of very simple additional ways to do it.

1) Use Most of @Avo Mk8 's suggestion. But also get the get the Quinetic gateway, which turns makes normal quinetic RF gear 'smart'.

Give them names in the app e.g. Kitchen, Diner, and also create a group called "All Kitchen".
Then it can be as simple as "Alexa, turn on all kitchen lights" (if you have an Echo Dot or Echo)

So instead of also pairing each receiver with the extra switch, it's all handled by the gateway.

2) A very simple smart setup. I think the simplest setup is probably a 4th Gen Amazon Echo (NOT Echo Dot) which has a built in Zigbee protocol hub and some Click Smart Plus receivers (which don't need a neutral and have inputs for a normal switch).
You just need a CSP041 module behind each switch, they take a Live, a Switched Live, and then the normal switch is wired to COM and S1.

You then have voice control of all three lights, traditional switches for all 3 lights, and can create a group in the app to switch them all at once using voice control, or an additional real switch.

Hope that helps.

Does nobody bother with two way and intermediates anymore?

Reply to Multi Zone Light Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net