Discuss Multiple Floodlights - Operating Strategy ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wildgoose

I've had a customer today asking for 5 floodlights to be fitted around his property. He wants every light to be equipt with a PIR sensor and all lamps to be linked. This means that if any of the 5 PIR's detect movement, they will then operate all of the 5 floodlamps.Assuming that the (L1) output on each unit is up to the job of supplying 4 other lamps, have any of you had experience of how reliable this configuration would be??Any particular care points?

Last edited by a moderator:
The current load for five floodlights would overload any integral PIR sensor. I would suggest fitting five floodlights without PIRs and then fit a separate switching circuit using standalone PIRs operating a contactor for the floodlights. Make sure your cable is suitable CSA and your breaker is also correctly sized to run the anticipated load. you may also have problems with high initial current draw on starting if they are halogens.

Bare in mind what the total loading will be on the circuit. In my experience, even just 2 500w halogens could take out a 6A mcb (Happened to me once!). Even if you went down to 300w bulbs, then you would be upto 1.5Kw which you could find problematic.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on the fittings and lamps but could be a pain the backside, i have seen this before and the PIRS rarely last long if near the maximum ratings loading.....(check the ratings of the PIRS and see what lamps you have)
The otherway would be to controll the fittings with a contactor which is switched by the PIRS. (You would have to put up with the coil thump generated, but all pirs would be under less total load and likely to last)

use GJD Opal PIRs and their control unit. the PIRs are all wired in 12v alarm cable back to the control. the floodlights are then each wired back to the controller.

I think I'll stay on the safe side and fit the TimeGaurd PIR Multi-switch and Detector (SL055). This kit is designed for multiple floodlights and provides a single point adjustment for all the lights - very customer friendly!!!

Thanks for your advice Guys especially telectrix for reminding me such units exist!!

Reply to Multiple Floodlights - Operating Strategy ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net