• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss My first soldering! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Looks fine to me!

You need to take care that any of then ends sticking up don't puncture through the insulation you put over it, but you can usually take the worst of any spike off by gently squashing with pliers.

As above, or just nip the pointy ends off with a pair of snips.
I'd usually use a bit more solder as well, looking at the second pic.

I didn't twist wires good, thats why it's sticking, or maybe I have move them with solder tip. I have done couple of times more, and it doesn't stick.

I have a bit of tin on the solder iron tip, how to clean this?

My first soldering! IMG_20200526_190626 - EletriciansForums.net

Normally you have a slightly damp sponge (not a nylon one that melts) to wipe the tip, but a slightly damp cotton cloth should do instead.

Don't leave the iron on for long period without use though, in particular with lead-free solder it ends up with a blackened tip that is poor at "wetting" the solder. You get little tubs of grey solid paste-like stuff to do that. Here is some example of it being used:

I have a wet sponge.
I wiped the tip and it's clean, but lower you see a blob that I couldn't remove.
I didn't wiped it off soon before it harden.
Next time when I solder, will it melt so that I can wipe it off?

Yes, there should always be some solder on the tip. When you switch the iron on to begin work, add fresh solder so that the flux cleans the surface, then wipe it off. If the iron stands for more than a few minutes while it is hot, flick off any stale solder and add fresh before making a joint.

Pretty good for a first go. Making an in-line joint like that, I would aim to have less bare wire and to twist it more tightly. If the wires are nicely prepared, the actual soldering is easier and quicker, and the result neater. Once you get practice at controlling the temperature, you will find that once the wire has absorbed as much solder as it needs, you can leave a smooth coating of solder that covers any sharp ends. Your insulation is a little melted which suggests spending too long heating the joint, although how fast you can work depends on how well matched the iron tip is to the size of cable and what temperature it reaches. I would expect to have the iron in contact with the wire for about 4-5 seconds to complete that joint.

Tomorrow I'll be making many joints in cables 0.5...6.0mm², I'll take pics.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I'll be making many joints in cables 0.5...6.0mm², I'll take pics.

Any chance of letting us know what temp you put the iron on when doing these different sizes.

Normally you have a slightly damp sponge (not a nylon one that melts) to wipe the tip, but a slightly damp cotton cloth should do instead.

On site I've got into the habit of just wiping it on my jeans and carrying on, but that's probably not such a good idea if you wear those designer tradesmens trousers that are all the rage

OK here are some examples of straight inline joints of equal-size cables. Obviously different configurations merit different methods. For speed, all of these joints were made with a 3.5mm chisel tip at 365°C.

0.5mm² Tri-rated soldered with Alpha Vaculoy lead-free:
My first soldering! 20200528_172930 - EletriciansForums.net
My first soldering! 20200528_173001 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_173122 - EletriciansForums.net

Next is 4.0mm² 6491B conduit cable soldered with Alpha Vaculoy lead-free and sleeved with adhesive-lined medium-wall 3:1 heatshrink
My first soldering! 20200528_174512 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_174548 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_174908 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_175154 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_175344 - EletriciansForums.net
More in the next post...
[automerge]1590692245[/automerge]
Then we have 10.0mm² tri-rated, strands interlocked, bound with 29SWG tinned copper, soldered with 60/40 Crystal 511 and insulated with PVC tape. The PVC was applied with a 90% overlap and then a 50% overlap in the opposite direction. Once completed, I cut through the middle of the joint to show that it is solid copper/solder, circular in section and evenly covered with PVC equal in thickness to the original insulation.
My first soldering! 20200528_173227 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_173258 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_173515 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_173808 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_174057 - EletriciansForums.netMy first soldering! 20200528_174317 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Here's a practical example of an inline soldered joint in a 5-core screened cable to a readout encoder on a lathe. The cable had a fatigue break in the middle of a job, so I cut out as much of the worn section as possible and joined it back up. The inner braid screen is connected through (and sleeved, so there are two layers of insulation between it and the other conductors) but not reformed to shield the joint as there is another shield over the top. The joint was sleeved in adhesive heatshrink.

Attachments

• My first soldering! 20191217_123013 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191217_123013.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 74
  • My first soldering! 20191217_124205 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191217_124205.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 76
Practice makes perfect.
Donkeys years back, I remember we were practising at tech and one thicko was totally baffled. One lad had brought some 60 amp fuse wire from work and we stood back giggling.

Remember doing the same thing years ago when making circuits on veroboard - picking the tinned copper link wire up instead of the solder. Gets hot quick!

I do that quite often. First, I look over at the soldering station to see whether the iron is on (which it is, and has been all day,) then I notice the time which usually turns out to be 3 AM and I take it as a signal to turn the bench off and go home. Talking of which...

Here's a practical example of an inline soldered joint in a 5-core screened cable to a readout encoder on a lathe. The cable had a fatigue break in the middle of a job, so I cut out as much of the worn section as possible and joined it back up. The inner braid screen is connected through (and sleeved, so there are two layers of insulation between it and the other conductors) but not reformed to shield the joint as there is another shield over the top. The joint was sleeved in adhesive heatshrink.
We used to have some big 400v 2 phase spot welders. They had two multi pin interconnecting sockets and plugs, army standard and murder
repairing when faulty, soldered and insulated connections on both. Fault finding and taking apart de-soldering and then re-soldering and heat shrinking each individual connection because one had failed. A days work for each, forcing back and reforming all the outer protection, too. I think one was 21 pin and the other 16, not sure.

Last edited:

Reply to My first soldering! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back