Discuss napit in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

thats rubbish. theres enough questions in the 2391 to see if you know what your doing. nobody can be expected remeber every reg.

I normally try not to post rubbish here.

Maybe NAPIT made their imitation 2391 open-book to increase standards?

Maybe they made it open-book to help them out of a sticky situation whereby they demanded this qualification as part of their scheme criteria but found pass rates would have affected membership numbers?

Spot the rubbish!

open book doesent make any difference to the c&g 2391.
but i agree that they probably brought their own na2391 in so people could qualify for napit registration. not sure if its a requirement any more.
their still better than the rest in my opinion.

Think like me IQ was worried about the use of the "2391" tag. It does cheekily make you think that it is equvilent to the City and Guilds version, and ASAIK it isn't
i know all this why do you think i put the post up. it was to inform the postee that it wasnt a C&G NEITHER YOU OR IQ WERE AWARE OF THIS UNTIL I POSTED

I imagine Napit brought out their own 2391 to encourage people to stay with them rather than join NICEIC after a year.
i suppose a lot of people take that route as a way of getting into niceic i personally find napit freindlier and more helpful. niceic might be the biggest it doesent make them the best although you would probably generate more work if you are registered with them.

imo it don't mean crap who your with. some sparks do what they want e.g rubbish and get away with it and some of us do the "right thing" and go through all theses schemes and get moaned at because there not with niceic!!!

imo it don't mean crap who your with. some sparks do what they want e.g rubbish and get away with it and some of us do the "right thing" and go through all theses schemes and get moaned at because there not with niceic!!!
couldnt agree with you more. even those who are on schemes do rubbish and get away with it

i suppose a lot of people take that route as a way of getting into niceic i personally find napit freindlier and more helpful. niceic might be the biggest it doesent make them the best although you would probably generate more work if you are registered with them.

I agree. I'm more than happy with NAPIT and certainly won't be joining NICEIC

Hmmm I may be losing my job soon. Took the 2360 prts 1&2 some years ago with the 16th edition regs and PAT testing quals. I read what electricians are saying on here which makes me think. When I did my quals there wasn't all this money being paid out to governing bodies and if there were, I didn't hear or know of them apart form NICEIC. So where does this now leave me in the event my present world caves in? Where would I go to maybe refresh what I have in my noddle?? No way could I do the 2391 since I did very little test/insp. ??????? Im not in the industry and got through on books and listening to people.

The very bare minimum you would need is the 2382 either 10 or 20. If you have the 2381 -2001 then you only need the 1 day refresher course.

In fact several Schemes like the NAPIT will take you with what you have, but insist that after 12 months you need to have the 17th. Though with your older qualifications they will put you through the hoops more and without the 2391-10 again the same for the testing side.

I'm sorry to hear that you may soon be losing your job. This is now the time to take stock and see what your next step wants to be.

Hmmm I may be losing my job soon. Took the 2360 prts 1&2 some years ago with the 16th edition regs and PAT testing quals. I read what electricians are saying on here which makes me think. When I did my quals there wasn't all this money being paid out to governing bodies and if there were, I didn't hear or know of them apart form NICEIC. So where does this now leave me in the event my present world caves in? Where would I go to maybe refresh what I have in my noddle?? No way could I do the 2391 since I did very little test/insp. ??????? Im not in the industry and got through on books and listening to people.
part p only applies to domestic properties or properties that have a domestic property above them /within the same building, if the main supply to all the properties enters in one region only. if you are not going to do domestic premises it wouldnt apply to you. some work isnt notifiable, if you were going to carry out notifiable work you can as long as you notify the LABC first. if you want to join a scheme dont worry to much about what qualifications you have [you will have to assesed any how] my first C&G course was c&g 51a and 51b their a lot older than yours. [although i did keep up to date by sitting15th 16th 17th ]

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I need to get myself registered? What are the costs now for each of the governing bodies? NAPIT? NICEIC?
what other governing bodies are there? costs?
Once I register what am I to expect from those I register with?
Why so many governing bodies? are they all necessary?
Which is best and why?

I would only be interested in domestic properties although I am informed commercial are easier??? Is that true ?? or has someone thrown me a line?

I hope I dont bore you too much, but my not being in the electrical industry has meant I fell behind instead of finding an employer at the time and throwing myself into it.

Many thanks for your advice.

Your best bet is to go to the web sites of NAPIT, ELECSA, NICEIC and compare prices and entry requirements.

Also search this site, especially the business forum where the pros and cons of each scheme are regularly debated.

I think jojo needs to update his qualifications and not cut corners here. 2391 is not difficult it only takes application. latest regs is a must and testing may seem daunting but it is easy after some practice. Please take time to get yourself updated and good luck

thanks sps, I really appreaciate the input of those who know better, I REALLY DONT want to cut corners. I do realise I need to get my 16th edition regs updated. thats the 1st step. Then sort out 2391? 2392?

I have read a thread say 2391 is really difficult? and that 60% failure rate is the norm??? I found it difficult enough taking the 2360 and was cra**ing myself on the part 2. I hate exams and practicals exams even more so. I dont want to be paying out good money then throwing myeslf onto a course to then fail. I generally have a positive approach to exams believe it or not. I have been told to look into NAPIT for now and take stock of whats happening now. Electricians seem divided as to which is better NAPIT or NICEIC? It a little like trying to decide which garage to take the car. You hear good about one and that the other is more expensive. Both sever the same purpose, but who is giving the better deal? All comments apprciated.

thanks sps, I really appreaciate the input of those who know better, I REALLY DONT want to cut corners. I do realise I need to get my 16th edition regs updated. thats the 1st step. Then sort out 2391? 2392?

I have read a thread say 2391 is really difficult? and that 60% failure rate is the norm??? I found it difficult enough taking the 2360 and was cra**ing myself on the part 2. I hate exams and practicals exams even more so. I dont want to be paying out good money then throwing myeslf onto a course to then fail. I generally have a positive approach to exams believe it or not. I have been told to look into NAPIT for now and take stock of whats happening now. Electricians seem divided as to which is better NAPIT or NICEIC? It a little like trying to decide which garage to take the car. You hear good about one and that the other is more expensive. Both sever the same purpose, but who is giving the better deal? All comments apprciated.
napits cheaper and more freindly before part p came in niceic made it difficult to join them i tried many times they wouldnt accept work i had installed as mine as i had carried out the work for a company that had employed me although they were prepapred to accept my signatuare on the 3 part test sheets for test and install.
since part p their prepared to accept most people now if you sit there course i dont think 2391 is a requirement with them.
there are a lot of people out there who we term as 5 day wonders
give it a go at least you did do the c&g courses before the become a spark in 5 days brigade.
good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
as previously said. visit napit's website. assessment is ÂŁ180 and annual fees about ÂŁ340. you will find them extremely helpful. (partly because they want your money.lol.). they do seem to be biased more on the testing side, though.

Last edited:

Reply to napit in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net