Discuss Need help in earthing arrangement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello guys,

hope you all keeping well. I'm new bird on this forums as this is my first post thread. Anyway, one of my customer saying, after every visit from British Gas engineer they always saying 'you don't have suppler earthing in your property. pls sort this out ASAP.'

When i went on site to do initial inspection, I checked main cut out unit. and i can see earth wire coming out from main incomer city cable. Please see my attached picture for your reference.

So why BG engineer keep on saying NO SUPPLER EARTHING? I know the best way to check by performing Ze test, but I'll get my multi meter back after two weeks. And i have to quote him in two days.

If any of you come across with this kind of installation (see picture) and what you did to solve the problem? (earth rod installation, bonding to water n gas pipe, asking energy provider for Ze??) it would be really help full, if I can little bit of advice please. To be honest i never seen installation like this, particular in earthing arrangement.

Many Thanks.

Attachments

• MAIN CUT OUT 2.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 178
you need to take ze measrment and confirm earthing conductor with test equipment, looks like a tn-s and should be below 0.8 ohms... maybe bg are testing and not getting a reading

ive had this before, when they check the boiler they take an earth loop at the fcu usually, probability is there is no installation earth

What my learned friends said in post 2 and 3.

I'm not too sure what you're on about in that last paragraph when you're talking about an earthrod installation etc, perhaps you could explain. Have you seen an earth rod anywhere on the property?

If you were to phone the DNO and eventually get through to someone who knows or cares what you're talking about you would get confirmation of whether they provide an earth facility or not but the Ze figure they'd give you would just be the maximum allowed in the regs so would be pretty much worthless.

Other than that mate you can't do very much till you get your test gear.

Hello guys,

hope you all keeping well. I'm new bird on this forums as this is my first post thread. Anyway, one of my customer saying, after every visit from British Gas engineer they always saying 'you don't have suppler earthing in your property. pls sort this out ASAP.'

When i went on site to do initial inspection, I checked main cut out unit. and i can see earth wire coming out from main incomer city cable. Please see my attached picture for your reference.

So why BG engineer keep on saying NO SUPPLER EARTHING? I know the best way to check by performing Ze test, but I'll get my multi meter back after two weeks. And i have to quote him in two days.

If any of you come across with this kind of installation (see picture) and what you did to solve the problem? (earth rod installation, bonding to water n gas pipe, asking energy provider for Ze??) it would be really help full, if I can little bit of advice please. To be honest i never seen installation like this, particular in earthing arrangement.

Many Thanks.
look.....never mind what others are tellin you.....confirm yourself...Ze as trev has said......
anything else is turd....

I had a customer call me after a bg engineer had Serviced the boiler and said that the earth was >100 ohms and this was incorrect and they would sort it, luckily my customer said no and they had their own spark. Anyway went round carried out zs at boiler spur and everything was as it should be. Bloody bg

There is indeed a braid attached to the sheath but nothing is impossible There could be a problem with the sheath of the cable (unlikely I know) or the BG guy could be talking total and utter shi.....erm nonsense. That's what I meant to say, nonsense:)

Generally the only thing a BG fitter will test anything with is a plug-in socket tester, so more likely there is an earth connection fault at the supplying socket outlet or somewhere else on the circuit!!

Not sure why the OP even went to look at this job, having been told of a possible fault that would almost certainly need test equipment to verify?? A jobbing electrician can't function without test equipment for Two Weeks. If your own equipment is off being repaired or whatever, then you need to hire, beg, steal of borrow, in order to be able to function/work surely??

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Need help in earthing arrangement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net