Discuss need some advice re current CU in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi there

i currently have a 6 way wylex NN board which has a 63A BS4293 RCD main switch. The MCB's are BS3871 Type 2 and 3.

would any new circuit added to this board be non compliant ? and therefore fail a Elecsa or any competent person assessment?

basically does the board need to be changed before i can add new circuits ?

many thanks

Does the RCD operate correctly at x1 and x5, and ramp test. Is it a 30mA RCD.

They're not manufactured any more but that doesn't mean they aren't fit to work!

Confirm the RCD works with an RCD tester.

Do you mean you have space on that old board and want to add an old MCB to it?

rcd is not 100ma it is 30ma and yes its trip time at x1 and times 5 are within spec. Ramp test is fine too.

i have a spare way with an exisiting 30Amcb in the exisiting board and wanted to run a new circuit.

I can't see any reason for not adding a new circuit to the existing board as long the RCD is still operating correctly like you have said.

SPARTYCUS has highlighted the obsolete bit.

Dont forget your bonding etc and highlight on the EIC re the main switch (RCD)covering the entire installation (Cant think of the word I am looking for)

just want it to be right for assessment and have these niggling little problems that i know my self are not ideal ie (rcd main switch and the old nature of the rcd and mcb) evrything else is to the 17th its just a pretty important part mainly fault protection and rcd protection thats not ideal. now if i note the niggles as limitations or deviations from BS7671 is this enough just dont want to fail due to niggles that i know are there.

Sorry you have lost me with 513 Accessibility. LIM is for PIR' s only!

It should make no difference if it is you assessement just make sure all the work you do is per the regs and you will have no problems at all!

If you're not a member yet and are thinking of using it for your assessment, I'd recommend calling Elecsa and running it past them.

They don't bite and I always find them helpful.

Reply to need some advice re current CU in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net