Discuss New Member, guantlet thrown down in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

WiiDave

Hello, I am a new member and I would appreciate any help greatly!!

I am working on a job and there is a staircase in it. We fitted lights (Helios 3 LED Downlight 15W WW White | City Electrical Factors) and the client has now said that they are too bright. Yes I know how odd that is. There is no way that we can now change the fitting for one that is smaller as the area is decorated and they will not tolerate the disruption. Also we cannot change the lamps in the fittings as although the bezel should be removable many of them are cross threaded or put on by Superman or something. The lights are activated by PIR with 3 core and earth running to each fitting and each PIR with the permanent feed acting as the feed in the PIR and the permanent feed in the emergency fittings. The lights come with a dimmable driver.

So...

We have decided the lights will have to be dimmed (unless someone can suggest an LED fitting of the same diameter with a lower wattage lamp). We have also decided, and this I'm not sure one, that we cannot put a dimmer at the dis board as the feed is in 2 core and earth and we would be dimming the emergency feed and the PIR feed so the PIR probably wouldn't work and the emergency packs probably wouldn't charge.

Getting there...

The M&E Co-ordinator in his wisdom has suggested that we put a dimmer on each fitting and shove them above the ceiling. This seems like a lot of effort and a lot of money just to dim some fittings and... well I guess it just seems wrong. Also it will be a nightmare trying to get each dimmer set exactly the same. I can't think of any regulation which says it's not the right way to do it but it's not really best practice.

What I would like to do is dim the switch line as it leaves the PIR (so the dimmer would have to be of a size to fit through a hole for a Danlers recessed PIR or, and this is probably wishful thinking, can someone suggest a PIR which you can dim without the use of 0-10 or DSI or DALI or 1-10, etc.

Any ideas?

change the bolldy fittings for less powerful ones. just source somew that are the same hole size. alternatively. get the bloody bezels off with a hammer and chisel.

Folks,

Many thanks for the replies. Some helpful.. some.. well thanks anyway! Will have a look at the converter downlights and/or see if superman is available for a shift to take the bezels off.

Cheers!

Reply to New Member, guantlet thrown down in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net