Discuss newbie- should I give up ?! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Ginger Simon

Hello All and Sundry.
My name is Simon. I'm 44 and trying to start 'a new life' in Devizes - you know post divorce and all that stuff. Having skimmed through a few posts' it seems I may not be wanted.
<insert violin music here>

I'm one of the many who thought he could transfer his related employment background and re-train as an electrician. I didn't want to become a 'house basher' for a big name building company. So went for Domestic Electrical Installer course..... Now,some two plus years on, I've discovered no-one wants to take me on and put the training into practice. I'm far from daft, but perhaps I was nieve. IS there really a skills shortage out there ?

Could anyone advise me how to get a job in the trade ? Apprentice no longer exists,Electricians mate is an experienced position and General Labourer seems to be filled by cheap imports... Many of you seem to spit between the lines when the mention of "Will work for free to gain experience" is mentioned. True I can see this is taking food from the table from experienced and time served 'sparky's' - but how else do I get my foot in the door ?

Ooh someone save me from this early onset of cynicism...please

Thanks :) It's dawned on me that this forum is more the introduction than questions abounding, still gives you an insight to my age related condition's.... Thanks for the response, tis all new to me

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the asylum, ginger. :disguise:, it's tough in the trade at the moment. just got to keep banging away on the phone, getting a foot in the door. best of luck.

Will do telectrix- oddly enough I'm a member of an asylum on Facebook- Perhap's I'll fit in after all. I think it's just a matter of time and the right drugs.....;-)

Hi & welcome.:)

hi Ginger Simon,
I'm sorry to hear about your divorce,
when I was going through mine (19 years ago)
I worked out that including mine, there were 12 divorces across 6 sparks (one was an apprentice who was un-married)

so From that point of view your almost one of us :)

Joking apart,
I'm from a sub-contracting background and am now looking for my own work as a result I'm struggling. and as far as I can see, everyone else is aswell.

As everyone above me has already said, keep your head down and work at it and you'll get there in the end.
If I were you, I would look for work as an electrician mate, or electrical labourer
you'll get your break eventually

good luck

Richard

Reply to newbie- should I give up ?! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net