Discuss Newly Qualified Domestic EV Installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm 24yo with some current site experience.
I'm looking at doing the TradeSkills4U Domestic + EV Installer course.

Now I understand employers are going to be sceptical of anyone coming from a 5-week electrical course.
What should my expectations be salary and finding employment wise?

As I am planning to put the £ 3,200-course fees on an interest-free credit card?
and not work for the full 5 weeks.

if anyone could offer me some advice I'd be really grateful.

Regards
Jack

TL;DR
Newly qualified EV installer what are my chances?
Salary, if you can get someone to take you on, will be around the minimum wage bracket until you have some experience. Best case is someone takes you on as an improver or mate and pays you up to around say £13-14/hour.

The domestic course isn't really worth the paper it's printed on if you're using it to gain employment.

If you want to go out on your own just doing EV chargers i can't see the problem as it's hardly rocket science but you will have a lot to learn on site and nobody to teach you.

Most stuff in the electrical game is fairly simple but it's one of those cases of you don't know until someone explains it.

The simplest of fixings can be puzzling unless you know how they're used.

To give you an idea of employment opportunities - i have rewired my own house successfully and had it passed by Consuel in France, have basically renovated several entire houses from the ground up including the roof, fireplace, joist work, slating, bathroom/kitchen etc including all the bonding etc, and have nearly 20 years' experience as a builder.

I struggled, big time, to get a spark to take me on as a labourer on minimum wage.

Last edited:
If you look closely into the courses offered by Trade Skills 4U, what you're paying your 3k£ for is just step 1. You'll then be expected to go through steps 2,3 and 4 before you can call yourself an electrician. This will take between 2 to 4 years in total.

Hi guys

I'm 24yo with some current site experience.
I'm looking at doing the TradeSkills4U Domestic + EV Installer course.

Now I understand employers are going to be sceptical of anyone coming from a 5-week electrical course.
What should my expectations be salary and finding employment wise?

As I am planning to put the £ 3,200-course fees on an interest-free credit card?
and not work for the full 5 weeks.

if anyone could offer me some advice I'd be really grateful.

Regards
Jack
I just can't see the point in doing this course anymore. A couple of years ago this course would have been recognised by the NICEIC or Napit but not now. You would have been able to use this course to become registered with either of those bodies, now you need level 3.

You will absolutely not be able to install EV points after you have done this course because the work will be notifiable. In order to notify work you have to be registered, this course is not sufficient to become registered.

Trade skills for you do appear to give an indication on another page that you need a further 3 steps over 2-3 years, but they don't make it very clear.

You will absolutely not be able to install EV points after you have done this course because the work will be notifiable. In order to notify work you have to be registered, this course is not sufficient to become registered.
That's not true - anyone can notify building control it just costs money every time you do so if you're not registered with a scam scheme. Ultimately though it's legally the homeowner's responsibility.

Reply to Newly Qualified Domestic EV Installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock