Discuss Nightmare Client in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening chaps!

In the past I have come across some customers who try to pull fast ones with payments, but this particular customer is turning into a nightmare. After near enough completing quite a large job and receiving most of the money and also receiving plenty of compliments about my work I contacted the customer to arrange finishing a few small bits and signing off. In which I get a very abusive phone call saying how a good friend of theirs who is an electrician says I completely ripped them off and that most of my work was illegal (which is not true) after taking the abuse I told them I will not be returning to the job in which they replied they will be taking action against me. There has not been any contract nor receipts made as of yet, could I get In trouble with this as their work will not be finished or signed off by me?

I wouldn't just walk away Tony without trying to sort out his problem.
Call him and arrange a meeting to discuss his concerns. If you just refuse to return he will be in a very strong position if it gets legal.

I would suggest you ask the client to list the "issues" in writing and then go round and talk them through.

As for you "ripping them off" - who can say that? The quote was agreed and they have paid!

If the client really has a "friend" who is an electrician, why didn't he ask the friend to do the job in the first place ?
Anybody can pick fault with someone else's work behind their back. If you are happy and confident of the standard of work you have completed so far, stand your ground and demand site meeting to discuss all points raised by said "friend"!

as above. demand that any issues are put in writing and that, if legitimate, you are prepared to rectify. this puts the ball in his court.

As above get them to put it all in writing, asking for references to the law which makes your work illegal.

And most importantly remain calm and collected at all times when dealing with them and consider carefully everything you say to them.

I agree with the lads, to add, I would insist they put all the apparent issues in writing and name the hero who said the work was done illegally, he would get some grief for sure, I would even consider a solicitors letter to the customer suggesting any more remarks of that nature could end up with them and the muppet spark in court, of course if the work you did was good as you say and you say and you are not actually carrying out dodgy works :builder:

I take it you belong to a scheme , i.e. Niceic or whatever , then they would advise the customer the same as already suggested and that they should first complain to you , and then in writing if necessary and then allow you to attend and discuss the issues , that is the what these people would say if the customer contacted them , just advise the customer of the procedures ...

Above all show tact and also show that complaints are listened too and apply a procedure for dealing with them and record everything , and if possible use a voice recorder too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking away is never a good solution as you are a professional and have a reputation to uphold.
Customers that turn hostile for no apparent reason usually have some other issues that they are taking out on you!
As others have said, get things in writing and open a dialogue with the customer.

One issue with walking away or going on the offensive is it can come across as an admission of guilt, better to maintain the calm professional face regardless of what's going on inside

Hello Tonyjohn

BE very careful here how you handle this situation especially if you belong to one of the Governing bodies, documentation will be your best friend in this case.
Had a mate many moons ago similar situation all be it a heating engineer. problem was that there was no written evidence of a contract everything verbal. However he won & to help you this is how he done it.

contact client again by phone & by letter explaining that you taken aback by their last call & you would like to sort it out in a professional matter to resolve the issues.
record everything.
if you can get a meeting great attend be polite listen to what they have to say take notes on everything do not get aggressive do not even mention money. depending on how much you are owed this would be if you get the meeting still no mention of money.
you need to record you have had a complaint ( governing bodies) this would be from the first call date it & approx how long it lasted.
my m8's dad wanted to pursue the issue as this is what he was like & he won the case full monies owed & made the other side look f.... idiots.

made a folder for the works with headed sections.

full description of works any extra's works required
all materials invoices for the works
all labour days hours spent on works
drawings of the works room by room approximate measurements for each pipe run bends boxes all listed this created an easy to read folder of works.
any testing carried out.

same time he contacted gas safe explained the situation at which time he also advised the clients to contact them which they did.
my m8 had left the boiler not on & isolated at the mains gas mains & explained the system was not commissioned as they had the fall out before hand.
at this point his father was helping to create the above & taken on instead of a solicitor so to speak (not that he was he just wanted to do it)
gas safe came out & looked at the works & could not fault even though the client kept mentioning the money & how he had been ripped off but as they said not here for that just to check over the works & make sure it is safe.
the only thing he got pulled on & the guy from Gas safe said he could not prove it was that he could have been close to limit on his pressure relief run & could have increased the size but was on the border of the length of run.
with another m8 the NICEIC managed to get him in to do the test works for 3 hours only on a certain day at certain time which he did & then forward all paperwork to them & then when they had that they closed the case as complete same situation customer being a pain in the butt.

but both situations above required paperwork trail & contacting the governing body to get things moving after talks on both parties broke down.
but this will take time & you may not even get paid.
should you know your job is safe & to the best of your ability & you are a principles person then go for it but you might not get your money.
If you don't have that much left money wise & the above is correct then don't waste your time.

good luck

If you know all has been to the highest standards to BS 7671, then tell them to make their move, document every thing, letters emails, texts the lot.Sounds like they are trying to swerve the bill.

This does not make much sense to me. Why would they complain after paying what sounds like most of your invoice? You need to ask them to get this friend of theirs to document what he thinks is "illegal" (I presume he means not to BS7671, there is a difference). You should also contact your governing body if you have one, and pre-warn them that they may get a complaint, they may give you advice on how to proceed. If they cannot or will not expand on "illegal" then I would just take it with a pinch of salt and move on, as has been said it is not worth the time. It might help members on here if you provide more details of what the work entailed, could they be saying that it is not to BS7671 or that goods provided etc are not as stated in your quotation (I presume you have a written copy)

Last edited:
I have a free app on my phone (Call Recorder ) than records all my phone calls. You never know when it can come in useful.

Reply to Nightmare Client in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net