Discuss No neutral smart switch, faulty? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I've just purchased a 2 gang no neutral smart switch, however I was sent 3 gang. I thought i'd use it anyway. When i connected the common(S) to "L" & Switch live "L1" & "L3", nothing happened, switch didn't light up, lights didn't come on. My current switch operates 2x lots of led down lights, (10x per gang in series). The wiring is as follows 2x commons and 2x switch lives. I presume my smart switch is faulty, or because it is a 3 gang one they sent, it will only work with 3 gangs of lights??? Btw, the capacitor is installed as per diagram. Thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 47
The photo you attached seems to show screw terminals in L1 and L3, but not L2 - suggesting it might be a 2-gang switch?

Since it appears to be Wi-Fi operated, I presume you have connected to it via Wi-Fi per whatever instructions were provided?

Are the two sets of lights on the same circuit, and one of the live feeds redundant? [If they were on separate circuits, there is a danger of cross-connecting two circuits.]

And are you sure the cables that were in the old common terminals are the live feeds - it is not uncommon to find these connected the other way round?

You should have as a minimum an approved voltage indictor to test which cables are live or not (and not a neon screwdriver).

Hi, yes both on the same circuit and it is wired in to the switch correctly. The switch i have is 3 gang but i ordered 2 gang (2x perm lives in L & switch lives in L1 & L3) . I would presume the interface would light up upon flicking the breaker back on and not when connecting connecting it to wifi. The instructions are vague, but it should flash when powered up as far as i'm aware. The app to use with the switch is "eWLink". The switch interface is identical to the pic attached
[automerge]1578406906[/automerge]
Could check that the LED lamps are compatible.

it does state it is compatible with led lamps, but i might try changing them
[automerge]1578407427[/automerge]
Hi, yes both on the same circuit and it is wired in to the switch correctly. The switch i have is 3 gang but i ordered 2 gang (2x perm lives in L & switch lives in L1 & L3) . I would presume the interface would light up upon flicking the breaker back on and not when connecting connecting it to wifi. The instructions are vague, but it should flash when powered up as far as i'm aware. The app to use with the switch is "eWLink". The switch interface is identical to the pic attached
[automerge]1578406906[/automerge]

This is exactly the switch i was sent - Smart WiFi Wall Light Switch For Alexa &Google 1/2/3 Gang No Neutral Wire Needed - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-WiFi-Wall-Light-Switch-For-Alexa-Google-1-2-3-Gang-No-Neutral-Wire-Needed/303398936637?var=602593320085&hash=item46a3fc603d:m:mwztTHMb2uHYVvMOuPNNiQg

Attachments

• 61ZcT1GtReL._SX425_.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Not a particularly renowned seller. Might be worth checking their feedback - several people have received faulty switches by the look of it.

From Dunstable in Hong Kong - Brill :)

A lot are Chinese sellers, but they despatched quickly. They are sending another one out. We will see!

I personally wouldn't buy from a seller with such bad feedback, especially since a lot of the feedback is about items being faulty. Doesn't inspire confidence when it's something that is permanently connected to the mains supply of your house.

Some Smart switch manufacturers, will specify exactly which LED lamps are compatible with their dimmers, i.e Philips, Osram etc, not just a generic LED lamp.

I would recommend buying from a reputable source in the UK, and not from Ebay unless it suitably approved.

Some Smart switch manufacturers, will specify exactly which LED lamps are compatible with their dimmers, i.e Philips, Osram etc, not just a generic LED lamp.

I would recommend buying from a reputable source in the UK, and not from Ebay unless it suitably approved.

Regardless of that, should the switch at least light up?

Regardless of that, should the switch at least light up?

No idea with your one, I’d being contacting the manufacturer technical for assistance, which is not helpful to you I know, but you get what you pay for. I’d cut my losses and buy something like a Lightwave product, for example with technical assistance and know track record.

I have recently bought a wifi single gang light switch. This requires power to operate and there is no neutral in the existing switch. It is very close to my fusebox - can I simply run a neutral from my fusebox to the switch?

I have recently bought a wifi single gang light switch. This requires power to operate and there is no neutral in the existing switch. It is very close to my fusebox - can I simply run a neutral from my fusebox to the switch?
With what and how are you planning to do this.

What you are doing is not safe. Either seek the services of an electrician or use a switch which does not require a neutral.

Reply to No neutral smart switch, faulty? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net