Discuss No RCD in sub main in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, as I've said I'm not an electrician but studying C&G in my own time and have worked as a mate.
I've just had a qualified sparky upgrade my CU to a split board 10 way dual RCD. He has run a 4mm2 cable (from a 40A MCB protected by one of the RCDs) to my hut and will be coming back to wire up a sub main for a radial with a couple of double sockets and a light circuit. He says he is fitting a sub board whose main switch will have no RCD (since the circuit is already protected by the RCD form the main board?) I don't understand that. Can someone help? BTW, I couldn't find the DIY section to post this.

If you're studying then performing a cable calculation for the hut feed could be a useful and enlightening experience.
A said, the RCD affords it's protection for all circuits downstream of it, it will detect imbalances in the hut distribution circuit and all the associated final circuits so another RCD in the hut is not necessary.

yes you are correct ANDY,but if a fault in the shed or their abouts the RCD will fail and what ever that is on that rcd in house will go off has well.but i did not design it .
Yeah it's not how I'd go about it either.

If any circuit has an rcd at its origin, it doesn’t need another one.
2 rcd’s in-line like that can cause a lot of head scratching if there’s a fault....

4mm to a hut? What’s in there? Sounds like a lot of power for a potting shed
Thanks for the prompt reply. Potting shed......I have great plans :)
[automerge]1573169528[/automerge]
Wow, that was quick and thanks for the prompt responses. I agree that the 4mm cable (rated at 37A) is overkill. By my calculations on a load of say 4KW gives approx 18A and since there is little need to allow for derating factors (wooden framed man cave) then 2.5 mm (rated at 27A) would be enough, but if this is wrong please let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply. Potting shed......I have great plans :)
[automerge]1573169528[/automerge]
Wow, that was quick and thanks for the prompt responses. I agree that the 4mm cable (rated at 37A) is overkill. By my calculations on a load of say 4KW gives approx 18A and since there is little need to allow for derating factors (wooden framed man cave) then 2.5 mm (rated at 27A) would be enough, but if this is wrong please let me know.

The problem is that if the cables maximum rating is 37A then the largest standard size ocpd it could be connected to is 32A, it is not suitable for a 40A ocpd unless overload protection can be omitted, which it can't for a submain.

I think you have some terminology confused in your OP, 'submain' is the common term for a distribution circuit. So a submain generally refers to the cable and associated ocpd which forms the circuit feeding a distribution board.

The problem is that if the cables maximum rating is 37A then the largest standard size ocpd it could be connected to is 32A, it is not suitable for a 40A ocpd unless overload protection can be omitted, which it can't for a submain.

I think you have some terminology confused in your OP, 'submain' is the common term for a distribution circuit. So a submain generally refers to the cable and associated ocpd which forms the circuit feeding a distribution board.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. After studying a bit more I can see what you mean. We have Ib = 18A, In = 40A and Iz = 37A. We need to have Ib<=In<=Iz so these numbers fail. Should have used 32A MCB - am I correct?

I dont have cable calc charts but I would have thought only 4 mm cable that might take 40 amp might be MICC
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn't mention that in my OP. It is 4mm MICC. I found this bit of the chart online..........4mm - 40amps method 1, 42amps method 11

Thanks for taking the time to reply. After studying a bit more I can see what you mean. We have Ib = 18A, In = 40A and Iz = 37A. We need to have Ib<=In<=Iz so these numbers fail. Should have used 32A MCB - am I correct?

The cable should have been sized correctly for the selected OCPD.
A soloution now could be to use a 32A OCPD, but I wouldn't use an MCB if it can be helped.

Wow, I am surprised, not many of us out there that know how to gland off micc cable now days. Seems a surprising choice of cable for a domestic setting.

The cable should have been sized correctly for the selected OCPD.
A soloution now could be to use a 32A OCPD, but I wouldn't use an MCB if it can be helped.
Thanks again. As I've said, I'm not qualified so what alternative to an MCB would there be bearing in mind a 10 way dual RCD Hager board has just been fitted by my electrician

Thanks again. As I've said, I'm not qualified so what alternative to an MCB would there be bearing in mind a 10 way dual RCD Hager board has just been fitted by my electrician

A switchfuse seperate from the main CU then an RCD CU in the outbuilding would be a better choice from the point of view of selectivity and minimising disruption in the event of a fault.

Reply to No RCD in sub main in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock