Discuss NVQ level 3 2357, help please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently in my 3rd year of my apprenticeship and so far passed all assignments etc however the college advised us all to hold back on our portfolio until the third year, just collect pictures and evidence of certain tasks which I have about 100 photos which range from testing, to health and safety to tray work etc etc however our tutor who looked after the NVQ has just decided to pack up and leave for more money..

So far my NVQ is about 20% written up (started 2 weeks ago) but really struggling on how to go about writing up the job and laying out all the relevant information. The Whole class is in the same boat as we are in the dark at the moment..

I feel cheeky asking but I doubt I will get this done in time on my own and don't want to waste 3/4 years.. so does anyone has any old portfolios or templates I could follow to get my up to scratch? Any information would be great!!

Thanks for you time guys, any help will be greatly appreciated as I need as much help as I can get with college leaving everything to last minute..

Thanks guys,
James

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a free print app which gives you 45 free prints for postage of £4.99 (cheaper than your own ink) you get this allowance once a month. Use those prints to stick one on each supplementary evidence sheet and in the spare space (I tippexed out the lines) write what you have done and why.
Do that 45 times, don't waffle, use correct electrotechnical terminology and chuck a BS7671 reference in every now and again. When the next month comes around order more prints and do it again. This will push you to capture as much evidence pictorially as possible. You don't need a photo on each sheet but I find that it helps the reader.
Evidence referencing I ordered mine E1 E2 E3 you get the drift and that is what you put on the outcome boxes on the module in the portfolio.
Try not to make more of it than it actually is. It's evidence in picture and writing - if you knew what you were doing when you took the photo then you'll know what to write (with maybe a little bit of research)
You can do it. Crack on

Cheers mate, yeah I know most of the terminology to be used etc but as it's just been thrown at me and its just a case of where do you even start because the tutor is buggering off and haven't given us any information or guidance.

So what 20% have you done then?
Take one of the supplementary sheets and have a go at one of the outcomes with one of your photos, see how you get on.
Be thankful it's not the online one - it sounds like it's a pain.

So far the most I've done is laying out all the job specification side with proof and copies of RAMs & PTW and health and safety regulations. I've started laying out different topics that I need to cover but I feel I'm going the wrong way about it all..

I'm working through 2357 at the moment. It is a struggle to get the write ups done, really got to force myself to do it. I made a checklist for the learning outcomes to make it easier to see what you've done and what still needs doing, it's a bit of a pain in the arse flicking through the portfolio every time. You can scan through and see which learning outcomes your evidence can apply to as well. If you think you might find it useful I can email you the word doc version mate

Attachments

• NVQ Learning outcome checklist.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 333
I'm working through 2357 at the moment. It is a struggle to get the write ups done, really got to force myself to do it. I made a checklist for the learning outcomes to make it easier to see what you've done and what still needs doing, it's a bit of a pain in the arse flicking through the portfolio every time. You can scan through and see which learning outcomes your evidence can apply to as well. If you think you might find it useful I can email you the word doc version mate
Hello mate, do you have a copy of your 2357 NVQ ? I just started mine and would really help to have an example of a complete one. If so could you pm me. Appreciate if possible, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello mate, do you have a copy of your 2357 NVQ ? I just started mine and would really help to have an example of a complete one. If so could you pm me. Appreciate if possible, thanks!
Hello. Did you manage to get hold of an example portfolio for 2357? My partner is really struggling to access support from his tutor and at a complete loss on how to move forward. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. Thank you

Hello. Did you manage to get hold of an example portfolio for 2357? My partner is really struggling to access support from his tutor and at a complete loss on how to move forward. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. Thank you
What part is he struggling with?

What part is he struggling with?
Thanks for your message. He has successfully completed the first module (311) on Health and Safety. He has looked at the next module (312) on environmental legislation. He's a contractor (electrical wireman on UPS systems) so he has had little involvement with legislation of this kind and renewable energy. We are not really sure what evidence they are looking for and I imagine we will need to think creatively for him to prove this is something he can do...

environmental issues include disposal of waste, applies to all aspects of electrical work, work on reffrig. and A/C ( gas escapes), sure he can think up a few more.

environmental issues include disposal of waste, applies to all aspects of electrical work, work on reffrig. and A/C ( gas escapes), sure he can think up a few more.
Thank you. I think he may be able to fluff the legislation part. I am more concerned about outcome 3 of that unit on renewable energy. The criteria says to detail the operational requirements and benefits which he can do from the theory. But then it says, 'auditable evidence sourced from a real working environment must be provided to illustrate that the learner has demonstrated on 2 separate occasions they can interpret and supply information on the operating principles of the identified environmental technology systems'... How do we do this? Is he expected to have 1st hand experience of all the course content in order to pass?

Thank you. I think he may be able to fluff the legislation part. I am more concerned about outcome 3 of that unit on renewable energy. The criteria says to detail the operational requirements and benefits which he can do from the theory. But then it says, 'auditable evidence sourced from a real working environment must be provided to illustrate that the learner has demonstrated on 2 separate occasions they can interpret and supply information on the operating principles of the identified environmental technology systems'... How do we do this? Is he expected to have 1st hand experience of all the course content in order to pass?

He needs to take pictures of himself at a couple of renewable installations and then explain the basics of their operation. There is no requirement to actually show evidence of work on such installations.

PV, biomass, wind turbine etc - basically anything that falls under the category of 'renewable'.

Sadly I am no help here as I did mine before renewable energy was a part of it. If you have any friends that have solar panels etc it may be worth taking a few photos pretending to work at them and bluff it

He needs to take pictures of himself at a couple of renewable installations and then explain the basics of their operation. There is no requirement to actually show evidence of work on such installations.

PV, biomass, wind turbine etc - basically anything that falls under the category of 'renewable'.
Thank you so much. We had interpreted it as him working on it and we had no idea how he would find those opportunities! This is very helpful thank you. We will take photos of installations, explain the operating requirements and the benefits and see what feedback we can get from the tutor. His tutor marks submissions quickly but doesn’t return calls or emails asking for help! Very frustrating but I’m so thankful you’ve given my partner something to work on :)

Sadly I am no help here as I did mine before renewable energy was a part of it. If you have any friends that have solar panels etc it may be worth taking a few photos pretending to work at them and bluff it
Thanks for your advice too. He will take some of the installations themselves and see if it passes! Otherwise we may try your idea haha

Reply to NVQ level 3 2357, help please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock