Search the forum,

Discuss Nylons screws anyone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SPARTYKUS

Hello

anyone got a good punt for purchasing nylon screws, you know, for houses with no cpc on the lighting kind of thing..?

I know you can get them, I have tried my friend google, and the search function on here.

anyone help.....

you usually find that where there is no cpc on lighting, the back boxes have nylon lugs for the screws.

Hi chaps, yes for faceplaces, Tel, its in a bodgers house so there metal backboxes with no cpc and metal screws.....

thanks for all replies. i have bought some from RS. not cheap but need em and it'll be good to have some spare.

I was going to suggest RS as long as you don't need large quantities, they're very handy for tricky bits and pieces but you wouldn't mistake them for being cheap.

Another option is Skiffy but I'm not sure if they service the UK market.

Come on the netblindpaul, explain!

Briefly, Iwould say yes, they are at least a good idea, the three I looked at are not earthed in any way. If a live cable became wayward and touched the casing (yes, 10,000,000 to one) and then someone touched the screw (multiply by 60,000) they might get a shock.

thought it was that simple (albeit unlikely).

£7.57 is not that bad for 100. uksparks could always send you £3.80 and you could post 50 to him. get some money back.

Come on the netblindpaul, explain!

Briefly, Iwould say yes, they are at least a good idea, the three I looked at are not earthed in any way. If a live cable became wayward and touched the casing (yes, 10,000,000 to one) and then someone touched the screw (multiply by 60,000) they might get a shock.

thought it was that simple (albeit unlikely).

Well my gut feeling is that the front of a fitted light switch would be IP20, though I would have to check the actual test method.
Look it up?
Does a nylon screw have sufficient mechanical strength?

I'm also doubtful about the mechanical strength. Especially if the threads have become damaged/part stripped on a dodgy back box lug. The trouble is if you go for the plastic cover caps then they are easily lost and no-one will think to replace one that has gone missing. Daz

Hi chaps, yes for faceplaces, Tel, its in a bodgers house so there metal backboxes with no cpc and metal screws.....

thanks for all replies. i have bought some from RS. not cheap but need em and it'll be good to have some spare.
Well, that was a lost opportunity to pretend to be a Electrical Trainee, convince the customer the house was dangerous and sell them a rewire with a new metal clad CU for a zillion bucks!

The trouble is if you go for the plastic cover caps then they are easily lost and no-one will think to replace one that has gone missing. Daz

The other problem with them is they have not been designed to prevent electric shock. Even if they could not be removed could you state with confidence that you had a Class II construction?

Well they arrived (a day late). Screwed one into a patress and subjected it to 'considerable force'.

didn't knock a feather out of it, so wouldn't worry about mechanical strength.......

Reply to Nylons screws anyone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net