Discuss One of two newly installed ceiling pendants stays on - please help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chris G

DIY
Reaction score
I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to change to two ceiling 3-arm double-insulated lights. The Hallway lights are controlled by 3 switches in the house, one in the downstairs hallway (3 gang) and two switches on the landing (one is a two gang switch, the other is an intermediate 1 gang switch).

The light at the far end of the hallway was super simple .... a brown live, blue neutral and an earth. The other light was a more complex loop setup with 4x brown lives, 3x blue neutrals, 1x brown sleeved blue neutral and 2x earths. I made a schoolboy error and didn't take a photo of the rose setup before removing, although I recall it looking as I'd expected.

I've grouped the brown lives, blue neutrals (except the sleeved one) and the earths together in Wago connectors. I kept the sleeved neutral separate and connected this to my new light's brown live and the remaining blue neutral from the new light connected into the group of 3 other neutrals. For some reason, the second light on the landing stays on, whereas the light located at the loop setup turns on and off as expected.

I can't work out what is wrong with this wiring setup to cause the second hallway light to stay on. All the videos I've found online seem to suggest I've wired it correctly. All I can think of is that one of the 3 other blue neutrals is in fact a sleeved switch wire and that the brown sleeve may have fallen off at some point. Please help! Pic of the my attempt to wire the more complicated loop setup attached (without my new light wired in) - note that I've only taped the earth wago to the ceiling to get it out of the way as I fiddled. Thanks in advance for any assistance!light wiring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the browns is supposed to be the switched live for the light that stays on, connected with the blue sleeved brown. Instead, you've connected it to the permanent live (which should be 3 browns connected, not the 4 you have).

One of the browns is supposed to be the switched live for the light that stays on, connected with the blue sleeved brown. Instead, you've connected it to the permanent live (which should be 3 browns connected, not the 4 you have).
Thanks SJD, that was quick! Excuse my lack of knowledge here but do I correctly understand that the brown switched live (you refer to) will come out of the same cable as sleeved blue wire? …and that I need connect this brown switched live along with the sleeved blue cable and the brown live from the pendant in a 3 way Wago? Thanks again

trial and error.

take one brown out the group of 4 and connect to the sleeved blue.... see if it switches on and off with the switch....

if it still stays on, or half the rest of the house has gone off... then move it back and try another brown.

isolate the circuit between each try, because one of those browns, even when disconnected will be a permanent live!

You can find the misconnected brown by trial & error as littlespark says above. The one brown that is unlikely to be in the wrong place is the one in the same sleeve as the blue sleeved brown one - that is the switch drop. It could be any of the other 3. And again, be sure to isolate the circuit before changing any connections.

trial and error.

take one brown out the group of 4 and connect to the sleeved blue.... see if it switches on and off with the switch....

if it still stays on, or half the rest of the house has gone off... then move it back and try another brown.

isolate the circuit between each try, because one of those browns, even when disconnected will be a permanent live!

You can find the misconnected brown by trial & error as littlespark says above. The one brown that is unlikely to be in the wrong place is the one in the same sleeve as the blue sleeved brown one - that is the switch drop. It could be any of the other 3. And again, be sure to isolate the circuit before changing any connections.
Thank you both. Great advice. I will ensure the circuit is isolated first and tested before I touch any wires.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to One of two newly installed ceiling pendants stays on - please help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net