Discuss Outlet wiring question in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A simple outlet, 110v a single (2) outlets on the left side of the box, a spst switch on the right, with a single cover, covering them both.
The switch on the right controls an overhead light, and is unaffected since it's wired by itself. It merely shares the same box.
The outlet on the left arced during a bad rainstorm. Pulled it out, to find an obvious burn mark and it was cracked in half. Replaced with (two in a row,) GFI outlet #3, and there are two lines coming into the box, each with a white and black and a ground. (Pretty standard and straightforward.)
Have tried both ways, connecting both whites to one side, the two blacks to the other... And joining the two whites and the two blacks, (separately of course,) and running a single jumper from each wire nut to each side of the lower outlet!
Either way should work fine. However, neither works, and the GFI will not trip or reset. It seems odd.
Could it be affected from further upstream? An unknown short perhaps?
Any advice is welcome, as it has me perplexed.
Thanks

It is likely something else has tripped or broken down due to the fault. The fact is has cables in and out suggests there maybe something else not working.

It is likely something else has tripped or broken down due to the fault. The fact is has cables in and out suggests there maybe something else not working.
I believe you may be right, I chased the wires down, and the receptacles downstream also have no power. It's an old building, and there are wires everywhere that seem to just appear out of nowhere. I must've missed a junction box or something. Time to get dirty I suppose. (Hate spiders & creepy crawlers in hundred year old buildings!!) I'll look a bit closer! Thanks for the insight! I'll let you know what I find!

I believe you may be right, I chased the wires down, and the receptacles downstream also have no power. It's an old building, and there are wires everywhere that seem to just appear out of nowhere. I must've missed a junction box or something. Time to get dirty I suppose. (Hate spiders & creepy crawlers in hundred year old buildings!!) I'll look a bit closer! Thanks for the insight! I'll let you know what I find!

So it does.

A simple outlet, 110v a single (2) outlets on the left side of the box, a spst switch on the right, with a single cover, covering them both.
The switch on the right controls an overhead light, and is unaffected since it's wired by itself. It merely shares the same box.
The outlet on the left arced during a bad rainstorm. Pulled it out, to find an obvious burn mark and it was cracked in half. Replaced with (two in a row,) GFI outlet #3, and there are two lines coming into the box, each with a white and black and a ground. (Pretty standard and straightforward.)
Have tried both ways, connecting both whites to one side, the two blacks to the other... And joining the two whites and the two blacks, (separately of course,) and running a single jumper from each wire nut to each side of the lower outlet!
Either way should work fine. However, neither works, and the GFI will not trip or reset. It seems odd.
Could it be affected from further upstream? An unknown short perhaps?
Any advice is welcome, as it has me perplexed.
Thanks
To start with are the 2 other cables live or just cables going down stream to other receptacles. Wiring a GFCI receptacle on the back side it should have a line and load, the line is where the 120vac live cable connects and the load is down stream. Sounds like it’s possibly wired wrong, the neutral has to pair up with the black wire in the same cable. It will not work if wired otherwise.

Reply to Outlet wiring question in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net