Search the forum,

Discuss Outside lights - controlled indoors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

carlton99

Hi,

I have three outside lights that are controlled by 1 switch inside the house. One flick of that switch and all three lights come on.
What this means is that I have to manually turn them on and turn them off.

It would be great if they came on when it got dark and went off when it got light - especially when we go away on holiday etc.

I'm not an electricain but is this something that can be altered to do what I'd like it to do or do I have to buy new lights to go outside that operate on a sensor which would do the function I'm describing?

A photo-sensor would do as you require - either as a standalone switching device added to your existing lighting, or as a replacement light/lights. Depends to a degree on what form of lighting you have at present - are they the `security` type?

They`re not expensive - but neither are replacement units with the photodiode already built in - perhaps do a google to see whats on offer. But in principle, what you want is a small ask

Thanks for the reply, no not what I'd call security lighting more for decoration.

One is next to the garage door, wall mounted, bulb in a lantern type light, exactly the same by the front dooe also and then there is a small lamp post in the fron garden.

None of them were put in by people - done by the previous owner.

None of them were put in by people - done by the previous owner.

Oh. Dare i ask what he was then :D

Sorry, i degress...

Anyway, doesn`t sound like too much loading so you`ll have no problem sourcing a standalone photo-sensor to interrupt switching for those (they have a switchable load rating you see)

FYI it should be an easy task for a spark to do, but to cover yourself make sure he`s Part P registered.

Hope that helps you

ok, so thinking of another way round my problem and I've seen these.

Buy Time Guard Dusk To Dawn Lamp Holder With Random Switch, £9.91, Accessories Products, Online Pharmacy

my problem is that out of my 3 exterior lights 2 of them have a screw fitting and 1 has a bayonet.
I've seen in Wickes, B & Q and Homebase that you can buy these adaptors (or whatever they are called), but only in a bayonet fitting - does anybody know where I can find a screw-in fitting.

What I've settled for at the moment is bulbs with sensors on from screwfix - they are £10 each and come in screw in and bayonet so job done, but will be pricey when bulbs go.

Reply to Outside lights - controlled indoors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net