Discuss Passed my NICEIC Assessment today. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
A Big Thank You to everyone who helped me out with my queries and cleared my doubts. I really couldn’t have done it without the expert help from people on this forum.

The Assessor picked on my “Form Filling Skills” and gave me some advice, but nothing major. Asked me about the accepted RCD tripping timings and the minimum insulation resistance. He caught me out on “Smoke Alarm” and I went through the books, couldn’t find it ... but finally he showed it to me on the On-Site Guide and read it out himself. Asked me to do (1) Safe Isolation, (2) find Ze, (3) find PFC, (4) End-to-end test on a ring, (4) R1+R2 on the same ring, (5) Zs on sockets and (6) RCD test. Oh! One more thing, he also asked me to prove if the “Main Protective Bonding” exists for the water – I wasn’t expecting that, but survived. It was a real compliment to me when he said he had an easy job this morning and had to do another assessment this afternoon.

He ticked the “Compliant” box on the Visit Summary and Recommendation sheet and said, “see you in a year’s time”.

Thanks once again to everyone who gave their time to help me out with my queries and shared their knowledge with me.

Cheers!
:party:

Well done mate.

If i can just say..... i have noticed recently that assessors are asking applicants to do a little more practical than normal.

Every time i have had mine, he has barely asked me to do an RCD test. :D

Well done mate.

If i can just say..... i have noticed recently that assessors are asking applicants to do a little more practical than normal.

Every time i have had mine, he has barely asked me to do an RCD test. :D
That must be true. When I said that I have upgraded the Main Protective Bonding and that water & Gas are OK, he said that he could see the gas was bonded but not the water as it was under the floor board. So he asked me to prove that the water pipe was definitely bonded. I had to use a fly lead, connect it to the MET and attach a probe at the other end and the other probe to a central heating pipe.

I zero’d the lead (with the fly lead attached) before testing but kept getting zero for the continuity reading. He then asked me to remove the bonding connection for the gas, zero the leads again and test. Voila, I got 0.03 ohms and he was truly convinced.

He said, I didn’t have to do Insulation Resistance test on the conductors for that ring but simply asked me to explain how that’s done and what voltage I would apply.

When he asked me to do Zs at the sockets, I connected the leads to the socket, pressed the “Test” button and the reading showed up instantly. He asked me, “don’t to you think that was quick”, I then realised I had wrong setting on my meter- I had L&N instead of L&PE. When he started giving me his feedback, he said he knew a chap who had been testing for Zs for one whole year without even realising he had L&N setting instead of L&PE on his meter. He also gave me some tips on zero’ing the test leads.

One more thing, he asked me to zero the Zs test lead (with three pin plug) before doing Zs testing. I showed him my home-made gadget and nulled the leads using it and he looked impressed.

First of all well done, just going throught the application process at the moment!

In regards to your bonding cable, was he happy with you just doing a cont test on the pipework? I was going to use my house for one of the jobs in my application but who ever done the electrics put the bonding cables behind the panelling so didnt have access to the joints and seen as were renting, I didnt really want to start cutting the place up. I thought bonding connections needed to be readily accessible to confirm there connections. Just interested to here what your assessor said about it?

Cheers,

Rob

First of all well done, just going throught the application process at the moment!

In regards to your bonding cable, was he happy with you just doing a cont test on the pipework? I was going to use my house for one of the jobs in my application but who ever done the electrics put the bonding cables behind the panelling so didnt have access to the joints and seen as were renting, I didnt really want to start cutting the place up. I thought bonding connections needed to be readily accessible to confirm there connections. Just interested to here what your assessor said about it?

Cheers,

Rob
Yes, he was happy with me just doing a continuity test on the pipe work. Make sure you can prove to him that the continuity exists between MET and the Gas pipe and Water pipe respectively. Try not to cut corners in your testing and keep your sheets with test readings, because he questioned me about one of the R1+R2 being 0.51 ohms as others were in the range of 0.20 ohms. I showed him a twin socket that read 0.24 on one outlet and 0.51 ohms on another and he was happy with that but only suggested that I should have opened it up and cleaned it.

He is not there to catch you but just to assess you on your testing capabilities and your ability to interpret the test readings. He checks everything in great details and nothing misses his keen eyes.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Super job Goody. It is great to read of your success and you passing on valuable information and tips to your friends.
Well done sir !!!!!

Reply to Passed my NICEIC Assessment today. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net