Discuss Passed my NICEIC Assessment today. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks Goody, think im going to use some work at my home address instead then. As I say only thing that stopped me was not being able to see the bonding connections which I thought was a must. Anyone else care to coment on this? Is it just a case of making a note on the cert that saying that bonding connections had been concealed?

Also how did you null your three pin plug?

Cheers again Goody,

Rob

You use to able to null the BS 1363 plug with a sixpence, but there are devices available with Fluke. You could make up a short piece of cable with a croc clip either end, and leave it in the meter.

Yes as per 526.3 every connection should be available for inspection and testing, but often on bonding in existing installations this can not be done. Just as goody said you prove the connection and indeed make a note on the EIC under existing installation.

What size is the bonding cable on the installation

Thanks Goody, think im going to use some work at my home address instead then. As I say only thing that stopped me was not being able to see the bonding connections which I thought was a must. Anyone else care to coment on this? Is it just a case of making a note on the cert that saying that bonding connections had been concealed?

Also how did you null your three pin plug?

Cheers again Goody,

Rob
Please look at the pictures below. I have simply shorted all the three using a bit of 1.5 mm[SUP]2[/SUP] bare copper lead, connected my meter’s three pin socket lead, pressed “Zero” and pressed “Test”. In theory if you do this once the meter will store this info in its memory for that given lead and you do not have to “Zero” it every time you use it.

I have explained to him that I have already “Zero’ed” the lead couple of days back but he still wanted me to show how that was done.
31072011023.jpg 31072011024.jpg

Well done mate ive got mine soon going through elesca, your list of checks has given me a better idea of what to expect thanks
Also make sure you have all the neccessary warning labels in place included the label that tells when the next inspection is due.

Thats a good idea, have got an old single gang socket that I can "convert" :D

The bonding cables are both 10mm. Have just found the gas one this morning whilst out in the garden, its buried about 6 inches down between the meter and where it enters the house. The water is a definate no go though as its all been boxed in, then a kitchen put in front. Was going to disconnect all bonding conductors to stop any parallel paths then do cont test. Did a quick test this morning with them connected and the gas mains was 0.02ohms and the water was 0.4ohms, although I suspect these will change when measured individually. I will have to disconnect the boiler cpc aswell as this could alter the readings slightly.
What would be the maximum resistance I should expect? Obviously the resist back to the met will be low but if the clamp hasnt made a good connection then im wondering what value would require attention. Its about a 10 metre run so should expect a fairly low value so 0.4 seems on the high side!

Cheers

Rob

For 10 meters of 10mm I would be expecting a reading of about 0.01/2 but don't forget that if your using a MFT then these sort of tolerances are not exact, as our meters are not that sensitive. I think though that 0.4 could be a little high as you say

Last edited:
Yes will be investigating a little more. I will try scratching the copper pipe a bit where im testing from. Just hoping it doesnt go through the roof when I disconnect the bonding to the gas.

Reply to Passed my NICEIC Assessment today. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net