Discuss Positioning of vents and extractor fan in shed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just had a log cabin installed, it is being used as a gym.

I have installed an extractor fan to help with the flow of air. The extractor fan is located high up (see picture) and I am wondering where to position the vents to allow flow of air into the room (and then out through the extractor fan).

It makes sense to me to have them on the opposite wall to the fan and low down (see pic). I thought I would ask you guys if this seems right? If not, where would you position them?

My reasoning is, this will allow the best flow of air through the cabin.

I was also thinking of having another 2 (additional) vents on the same side as the extractor fan, again low down, as I thought this might create an even better flow of air (more encompassing of the entire room).

lastly, I also thought of having (additional) vents high up (somewhere) to allow flow of air even when the extractor fan is not on, thus allowing passive flow, but I am not sure where or if this is needed? I thought it would be best to have them the opposite side to the fan, but.... I would then definitely need some vents on the same side of the fan, to allow the correct direction of the passive flow.

Hoping for a few thoughts on these positions? Cheers 😀

fan.jpeg vents.jpeg

It makes sense to me to have them on the opposite wall to the fan and low down (see pic). I thought I would ask you guys if this seems right? If not, where would you position them?
This would be the obvious solution to give the best through flow of air
I was also thinking of having another 2 (additional) vents on the same side as the extractor fan, again low down, as I thought this might create an even better flow of air (more encompassing of the entire room).
This would severely reduce the air flow of across the cabin
lastly, I also thought of having (additional) vents high up (somewhere) to allow flow of air even when the extractor fan is not on, thus allowing passive flow, but I am not sure where or if this is needed? I thought it would be best to have them the opposite side to the fan, but.... I would then definitely need some vents on the same side of the fan, to allow the correct direction of the passive flow.
While trying to cover all bases you are likely to end up with a very compromised system of ventilation unless you can close off some of the vents when they are not needed
Hoping for a few thoughts on these positions? Cheers 😀
Could you run some ducts at high level and fit the fan with a spigot box to allow air to be drawn out at a number of points across the apex of the cabin then you could use a number of vents at low level around the cabin to let fresh air in

When it comes to venting heat, for best performance you need a bigger outlet than inlet. It depends on how many cubic litres per minute the extractor fan can remove as to the optimal size of the inlet.

Really helpful replies, thanks all. I thought I was over complicating it a bit. 2 vents, low down, opposite wall, simple! 😀

I've now fitted 2 infrared heaters, 2 twin batten lights, 50" TV for following workouts, extractor fan and a 56" ceiling fan is on the way! It's cost a bloody fortune, but I love walking into the area, which makes me want to work out even more.

@HappyHippyDad also consider some kind of vapour control to vent sweat or at least control it at the workout machine, sweat eats through paint and eventually rusts your metal work, one very expensive bike with rusty nuts, changed to titanium eventually. 😫

Reply to Positioning of vents and extractor fan in shed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net