Discuss pricing for pir inspections in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been asked by a local letting agency to price up pir inspection reports on properties used by university students bearing in mind they have about 400 plus properties on their books she has asked for a breakdown on prices for 1/2 beds 3/4 beds and 5 beds and over what would a reasonable quote be individually

The best way to do it is by circuit, if it is high volume continous work then you may want to go down to perhaps 20 pound a circuit. Though you would need to make sure you cover yourself with remedials, which in this type of installation can be many and varied.

Also you want to agree about things like the actual fire alarm system, if your gonig to test the actual system then that should be added to the quote, the same with emergency lights.

Student Halls are about the best work you can get, if you behave yourself you can look forward to years of general repair work and PIR work, also there is usually PAT testing to get done once a year in the kitchens and TV rooms during the summer closed time....you get to work in peace with not a single person to disturb you, and the places are gutted out so theres nothing in terms of furniture or junk to trip over either...

would price PIR at 14 pounds a circuit as you will have lots and lots of them, you will be busy all the time.....go out and buy a new tester with calibration and a memory card, and buy forms software for it....then get ready to print and sign lots of sheets of paper...

you might end up needing to take on a labourer/mate/apprentice soon to help you go through the tests...

Time to buy a Roll of a thousand PIR write on mini report labels for next to boards as well..... :) :) :) :)

visit the Halls of residence if possible with the Janitor/front reception desk person and that way you can see the size of each Halls of residence (they're like blocks of flats with communal bits) then get a note of how many rooms in each.....after that you must ...absolutely must....make your quotes in a way that the Residence and Catering department will find easily digestable which is by pricing each block of student flats (Halls of Residence) by its known name.....All Universities give their Halls of residence names like " Faraday court" ....."Tesla Hall"...."Voltaire Crescent"....."James Watt Hall" etc.......so if you come back with "this is how much for the 120 room James Watt building"...and "this is how much for Faraday Halls" they will like that and understand you, instead of going " 10 blocks of student Halls times 120 rooms each equals"....
a good thing to discuss is what the Universities "preferred contractor payment scheme" is, so that you can be flexible if they pay net 60 days etc.....it will be worth it no matter what... :) try offering the option of a 5% discount if they pay within 40 days, this should mean that you get dealt with in monthly accounts and will probably get paid every 4 weeks....

remember to stay on good terms with the people at the residence and catering department, even if they say something that you think is silly, dont say a peep....just get on as usual.... would be nice to get a few thanks clicks on here with all the time I spend typing away on questions here.... :)

Thats right ecclesgate they are basically houses which are sublet into flats with a communal kitchen and livingroom spoke to the plumber yesterday whos doing the gas checks he said he invoiced the letting agency and within a week he was paid

Reply to pricing for pir inspections in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net