Discuss put up your own scaffold? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

judgeelectrical

Is anyone out there fitting their own scaffold, or knows of a system that can be self errected and comply with all H and S issues. It seems to me on our jobs that the scaffolder is making the quickest , easiest money, their in and out in half a day for £800, with not half the technical knowledge.

I know i putting myself up here to be shot down! but i am just looking for a way to reduce scaffold costs(fit ourself) and do it safley.I have seen a company 'easi-dec, anyone use it?

if your using straight alloy towers you could get PASMA If its cup n hook systems and roof access then Id be wary as the HSE stuff involved is quiet hairy Loads of accidents caused by misplacement of just 1 bar or moving 1 bar you would be leaving yourself wide open
Also would your insurance cover be affected not just works but personal as scaffolding is clased as a high risk occupation

Yes, have a look around for scaffolders -£800 is very steep. But I've looked very brielfy at easidec and it was a big expense. I'd get the money back with about 15-20 jobs BUT i'd have to do it myself, it might not be as safe since i had done it myself, it might not be useable in all the situations and I'd have to store it. It might be tempting but like many other costs at the moment I'm not sure if it's worth the investmesnt with just 6 months to go on this FiT rate.

this is another thread but the uncertainly in the new FiT rate is going to drive business short term but not investment long term.

Spend half a day ringing round other scaffolders you're paying way too much. I wouldn't expect to be paying more than £500 for an 8m x 4.5m height with edge protection and leave it to the experts.

The rate here is £20 / m / lift so a 2 storey house (4.8 m to eaves) is 3 lifts, (£60) 8m wide = £480, plus £20 for edge protection = £500.

SRE's price is spot on.

Often use scaffold towers myself, obviously depends on whether it is appropriate for the ground or any obstacles in the way. I wouldn't try using them to get on the roof though, even if it was tied to the building, I wouldn't feel secure enough if I came sliding down the roof tiles.

Reply to put up your own scaffold? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net