Search the forum,

Discuss Question about supplying a garage/shed! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shaunus4

I have a few questions for you guys!

I need to run a swa from a main consumer unit in the house to a shed which has a old board in already which they want replacing, then from that shed another bit of swa to a garage for sockets and lights. I dont know what the board in the garage is doing I presume just sockets and lights again.

Can someone give me a list of what i'll exactly need form what mcb in the house to what in the shed and then what in the garage. Do i put a rcd in each board or what?
I need answers quick please!
Thanks

They also want to hardwire a compresser in. Do i just put that on a fused outlet? or what? Does it go on a seperate circuit as it may be a big load? Or can i just put a ring in the garage

You need to give specific load requirements in Amps for the various locations. Distances between the house, shed and garage would also effect the design of the installation.

Do you have any electrical qualifications? All the answers to your questions would be in the regs book and the OSG.

I'm level 3 qualified but just breaker sizes always puzzles me.

I'm not surea bout the distances from the house to the shed etc.

What size breaker would I need to supply a shed which just has lights and sockets? Do I put a rcd in the shed and garage or do I just run it from the rcd side in the house?

When you say breaker size you mean tripping currents, not PSC cascading requirements?

The MCB size is determined by the cable size, length and the way it is installed.... which in turn is determined by the load requirements.

You can't even begin to design an electrical installation for the shed and garage without knowing what the customer wants to run in there. Just installing a couple of sockets isn't relevant if they're going to plug in an air compressor, a welder and asmall pottery kiln. You need to start with the customers requirements and work backwards from there.

Reply to Question about supplying a garage/shed! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net