Discuss Question for the more mature among us in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

Found this at a house dating from the 30s. No power but just curious as to what it was used. Is that an old socket and that's on old plug top??

Attachments

• Question for the more mature among us 20210313_120222 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210313_120222.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Question for the more mature among us 20210313_120233 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210313_120233.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Question for the more mature among us 20210313_120227 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210313_120227.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Question for the more mature among us 20210313_120236 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210313_120236.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 73
Definitely 5A.

The plug (made by Crabtree) was a very common type. The socket (by GEC) not so often seen. It looks like it was rather haphazardly bodged into the skirting board, too near the floor and not level.

Could have been used for anything but typically table lamp / radio / vacuum cleaner. Points for heaters were often near the fireplace and more likely to be 3-pin (although not necessarily) and/or 15A.

just separate the copper/brass bits and add to scrap cable box.

As others have said mainly used for table lamps ect. I have even seen convertors from the day, that enabled the lady of the house to plug an iron into a BC from the light fitting.
Here's one for the youngsters.
Ever wondered why in older properties the light fittings were never central in a room and near the windows instead ?
Well it was for modesty reasons, to prevent shadows being cast against the curtains when people were getting dressed ect.
Nowadays they dress with curtains open, and wave as you go by ?

As others have said mainly used for table lamps ect. I have even seen convertors from the day, that enabled the lady of the house to plug an iron into a BC from the light fitting.
Ever wondered why in older properties the light fittings were never central in a room and near the windows instead ?
Well it was for modesty reasons, to prevent shadows being cast against the curtains when people were getting dressed ect.
You put light fittings in the centre of rooms?
Number of new builds ive been in where they've missed the centre by a good foot and a half.

My gran had an adaptor with 13A square pins, but 2 x 15A and 1 x 5A sockets. Somewhere theres a BC plug for pendants and a BC to 3xBC outlets.

Was 2A sockets not used for school clock power sockets? Or am i mistaken with that? (obviously not this one, being on the skirting)

Yeah was nearly always centralizing these light positions on rewires.

ver wondered why in older properties the light fittings were never central in a room and near the windows instead ?
I had an apprentice once tell me that it was because of German snipers during the war... Couldn't move for the amount of Waffen SS snipers in Hull in 1940...

It's also the reason why bedroom doors opened towards the centre of the room rather than towards the adjacent wall.

I was told the lights were there because dressing tables were placed in front of the windows.

At one time there were a lot of electric clocks about. 2A and 5A sockets were often fitted in places where a clock would be used. Such as beside beds, above mantelpieces etc.

the light fittings were placed close to the windows so that there would not be a silhouette of someone undressing with the light behind them.

Was 2A sockets not used for school clock power sockets? Or am i mistaken with that? (obviously not this one, being on the skirting)

More often, dedicated clock connectors that were very shallow to fit behind the clock. Each manufacturer had their own pattern so the plug of one brand would not fit the socket of another, but they were always supplied as a complete pair.

2A sockets, both 2- and 3-pin, were the least common of the sizes in the heyday of round-pin. 5A was the most common, 15A was necessary for heaters, wash boilers etc. But 2A did not have so much of a defined purpose, as many of its applications (radio, clock, lamp) were equally well served by the 5A. It was very compact but had little else to recommend it.

Reply to Question for the more mature among us in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock