Discuss RCD fused spur suitable or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So what happens if a customer would like additional sockets added to an existing ring as either spurs or a ring extension where the board is an older one with no rcd protection?
I have been noting this as a departure only on the certificate. I was under the impression that as long as the new work does not down grade an existing system i.e. is as good as or better then this would be fine?

Any new work needs to meet current regs?

Over the numerous incarnations of this topic we have had many members that have said they have contacted there scheme and all have repoted back similar advice and that is along the lines of:-

"It's probably an omission or error and to carry on using them"

None, to my knowledge, have reported back saying they were advised not to use them.

Why some on here feel the need to constantly challenge this is beyond me, this is what we pay these schemes for, to provide clarification and advise.

Just phone your scheme and ask, an easy solution.

Rcd spurs and sockets to bs7288 are still referenced in the 18th edition version of the IET guidance note 1 and the current edition of the on site guide and are still manufactured

Last edited:
Surely to avoid all the debacle, a simple DP RCD or RCBO in a small enclosure to replace the FCU (assuming 16a protection at board) would be ideal? Thsi can then happily supply the relevant outlet.

Reply to RCD fused spur suitable or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello everyone, We had an electrician over, who fitted a 40a MCB in the house consumer unit to supply a new build garage. It's underground SWA...
Replies
Views
A recent EICR turned up a fault: an RCD fused spur was feeding a socket and a shower pump, and neither socket or pump had continuity on the CPC...
Replies
Views
As I've mainly done site work and moved into domestic recently, I'm a bit rusty on stuff like this, but if I'm adding a loft PIV unit to an...
Replies
Views
Hello! I've been racking my brain this evening about some RCD selections. I've been doing some work for a solar installer, and they've asked me...
Replies
Views
Hi, quick question. How do FCU's work? Do they just protect the load side and what I mean is, say you have a ring final with 2.5mm^2 protected by...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock