Discuss RCD problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stidge

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, scenario is , Fitted new dual rcd MK Cu today. Testing rcd one ( next to main sw) all fine. Rcd two doesn't trip on x1 at all ( mft says 310ms)it trips on x5 but high reading approx 30 ms. Have tested with no loads connected. Changed rcd same results! Swapped rcd 1 & 2 round , works fine next to main sw but same problem on other end ! Have triple checked all connections on everything but to no avail????? Any ideas lads ?? Help

PP.jpgSGuardconnection.jpg
SGuardconnectionPVC.jpg
Hi,

May be you already solved the problem.
Whatever, even if you triple checked all connections.

At the second RCD because you tighten the screws but without wires or busbar inside you got this problem. The Cu busbar at IN of RCD remained behind of terminal block. Check properly the connections. Good luck.
Thank you.

Bertt.

Attachments

• SGuardconnection.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is like deja vu, there's another thread also with failed RCD's on a brand new board. Maybe there's a widerspread problem.

I may have my memory playing tricks on me but,I seeem to recall a debate about rcbos, (its not a problem I have encountered but it may have relevance)

The jist of the talk was that some Rcbos failed to operate on test at the consumer unit,but operated correctly at a circuit accessory
The rcbos in question were thought to be faulty,they were changed but still failed on test

The solution if I recall correctly,was that a short length of wire was required(maybe a bit of test resistance or similar) in order for them to operate correctly
Maybe try testing the Rcd in this manner,you never know because it is a bit of a weird problem

I may have my memory playing tricks on me but,I seeem to recall a debate about rcbos, (its not a problem I have encountered but it may have relevance)

The jist of the talk was that some Rcbos failed to operate on test at the consumer unit,but operated correctly at a circuit accessory
The rcbos in question were thought to be faulty,they were changed but still failed on test

The solution if I recall correctly,was that a short length of wire was required(maybe a bit of test resistance or similar) in order for them to operate correctly
Maybe try testing the Rcd in this manner,you never know because it is a bit of a weird problem

+1
Not your memory failing...was a real issue....explanation unknown.

Thanks des but not quite sure about length of wire where ? Between what ? Have also tried to test at accessory but no good . Thanks for input

View attachment 17690Hi,

May be you already solved the problem.
Whatever, even if you triple checked all connections.

At the second RCD because you tighten the screws but without wires or busbar inside you got this problem. The Cu busbar at IN of RCD remained behind of terminal block. Check properly the connections. Good luck.
Thank you.

Bertt.
yes...i`v come across this quite a bit on ECRs ....
like evidence of overheating

That was as i remember it, only applied to MEM RCBO's. The manufacturer advised the OP to connect a few inches of conductor to the terminals and testing from the ends of these short conductors!! As stated above, no explanation as to Why!! lol!!

Hi,

Please see for update for MCB safe guard connections - new pics.
There are relatively often into electricians practice this mistake.
Thank you and sorry if I was too persistent.
bertt. :sunny:

Reply to RCD problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net