Discuss RCD required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would say only sockets in a room with a external door on it would be used outdoors. I have a socket on my first floor landing no external access unless you walk past several other sockets first, I also have several sockets in my kitchen which has a back door and one in my hall ways which has the front door leading outside. Now would you say the landing socket or any other socket upstairs needs RCD/RCBOprotection, if it was installed when it wasn't needed?

This is not a pop megger but have you somehow ordered an excessive amount of DB's by mistake because I have to agree with others that this seems to be your standard reply to every thread relating to domestic rcd threads.
I know we are all in business to make money but do you ever try to rectify a job in a cheaper way or just rip it out and start again

I would say only sockets in a room with a external door on it would be used outdoors. I have a socket on my first floor landing no external access unless you walk past several other sockets first, I also have several sockets in my kitchen which has a back door and one in my hall ways which has the front door leading outside. Now would you say the landing socket or any other socket upstairs needs RCD/RCBOprotection, if it was installed when it wasn't needed?

No, If separate circuits up and down, personally, I would only C2 downstairs sockets in a house and would C3 upstairs (5.12) as I would not reasonably expect upstairs sockets to supply equipment outside.

This is not a pop megger but have you somehow ordered an excessive amount of DB's by mistake because I have to agree with others that this seems to be your standard reply to every thread relating to domestic rcd threads.
I know we are all in business to make money but do you ever try to rectify a job in a cheaper way or just rip it out and start again
Honestly, I do not have a pile of DB's in my garage I cannot shift :). I like to leave a job as safe as possible, and if I can make it safer I do. I do give them the options, (add on RCD etc) but when I explain the advantages they nearly always go for it. I am only £250 for new 5+5 DB installed, cert and registered. 90% of my work is repeat now, so I must be doing something right :).

I recently provided a RCD socket as part of an EICR remedial list. It was the nearest to the back door into the garden and was labelled and explained it was the dedicated socket for outdoor appliance use. This set the customer back £25. Should I have informed my 94 year old customer that a £250 CU change was the only way forward ?

To the OP... yes you need to RCD protect any socket circuit you go jiggering about with. You and your customer can discuss the best method to comply with this that is suitable for both parties.

Meggerman that is bloody cheap you want to be at 350.00 I would think

Hi guys,
Thanks for the feedback. A lot of it is down to personal opinion to be used in conjunction with the regulations. The EICR showed the installation had a clean bill of health. The zs readings were good and the I.R readings were also very good. There would be no issue at all with installing a new fuseboard.There are no spare ways on the fuseboard and the client has indicated that he will be having work doing in the future so i shall advise him that it may be prudent to get an up-to-date system now as he will definetely require one in the not too distant future.

I recently provided a RCD socket as part of an EICR remedial list. It was the nearest to the back door into the garden and was labelled and explained it was the dedicated socket for outdoor appliance use. This set the customer back £25. Should I have informed my 94 year old customer that a £250 CU change was the only way forward ?

To the OP... yes you need to RCD protect any socket circuit you go jiggering about with. You and your customer can discuss the best method to comply with this that is suitable for both parties.

I would have given her new CU as an option, explained advantages and let her decide.

I would have given her new CU as an option, explained advantages and let her decide.

Exactly what I did. I definitely didn't just "quote for new CU" as you first advised the OP to do in post #4 though, which is what I was getting at.
In my experience most EICR customers are looking for a cheap way to get a satisfactory report. I get most customers agreeing to CU swaps as part of larger works, such as a kitchen refits.

Meggerman that is bloody cheap you want to be at 350.00 I would think
I'm happy with £250. If elderly I do them for even less sometimes. I made loads out PV couple of years back so I am happy to pass it on a bit now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what I did. I definitely didn't just "quote for new CU" as you first advised the OP to do in post #4 though, which is what I was getting at.
In my experience most EICR customers are looking for a cheap way to get a satisfactory report. I get most customers agreeing to CU swaps as part of larger works, such as a kitchen refits.
I don't know your pricing or salesmanship. I can only speak from my experiences.

Reply to RCD required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net