Discuss RCD Testing on a split board in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

olsonn

Hi

After a bit of advice ahead of my practical exam on Wednesday. When RCD testing on a split board which has socket circuits on both RCD's do I need to also test lighting circuits or will testing at 0.5x 1.0x and 5.0x at the sockets suffice. Everything I read shows the tests being undertaken on socket ring circuits and nothing on radial lighting circuits

you only need to test each RCD once. either at a socket or at the RCD itself. a lot of us prefer this way as with the associated MCBs OFF, the circuit will not affect the test. ( something plugged in, or light fittings can give weird results.)

I agree with telectrix first post. Also just to add, GN3 says that loads should be removed when carrying out an RCD test. We had a thread a couple of months ago where a sky+ box was unfortunately no longer working after an RCD test had been carried out on the circuit it was connected to.
So isolating MCB's and testing on the load side is a good guaranteed method of assuring this does not happen.
I have however experienced a Mr NICEIC man say that I should only test it at the socket as it is a live test and they bring up EAW Reg 14, I argued it with him and he conceded.

Last edited:
I was once told thats how the niceic guy wants it, he wanted to see the rcd results on each cct.
But I aways test with the mcbs off at the actual RCD unit, and write the results as if I had tested the RCD on each of the ccts.

I was once told thats how the niceic guy wants it, he wanted to see the rcd results on each cct.
But I aways test with the mcbs off at the actual RCD unit, and write the results as if I had tested the RCD on each of the ccts.

obvoiusly, the niceic guy's a jobsworth. reading wrfitten on 1st cct. then dittos under, is what i do.

Don't worry, your NICEIC chap will be happier that you knew to perform the test once correctly.

I agree with telectrix first post. Also just to add, GN3 says that loads should be removed when carrying out an RCD test. We had a thread a couple of months ago where a sky+ box was unfortunately no longer working after an RCD test had been carried out on the circuit it was connected to.
So isolating MCB's and testing on the load side is a good guaranteed method of assuring this does not happen.
I have however experienced a Mr NICEIC man say that I should only test it at the socket as it is a live test and they bring up EAW Reg 14, I argued it with him and he conceded.

Widdler, don't you just love continuity - My Mr NICEIC made me test at the board on the RCD itself! :)

Hey,
I have just done my practical exam today (2330 lvl 3). I had to test a split load board, and test one rcd using the probes on the lighting circuit and the other rcd using the sockets, 1 manual and the other automatic.

Hope that helps a little.
Cheers
Ash

Reply to RCD Testing on a split board in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net