Discuss re wire ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

citybluesmith

a friend has just bought a house that he is looking to spend as little as poss on it and then sell it on.the house is over 40 years old.it defo needs a new fuse board .i have looked at the lighting and ring main cable and it is grey cable red and black t & e.the cable does not look in that bad shape.how do you know if it needs a re wire ? insulation resistance test ? or just the look of the cable ? i have recommended a complete re wire but he wants to keep costs down.cheers

Carry out a full PIR then make a decision based on the outcome.

Was going to suggest a PIR but didn't think you would go for that as you already mentiond trying to do it all on the cheap. If you want to change the fuse box then chose your spark he will come and quote he should give it a good look over anyway and he will advise on if just change board or rewire.

If your going to change the C.U. you have to carry out preliminary test's anyway , and if the house is empty and he wants to help you and save money you could proberbly rewire it in a weekend thus offering it sale with a new installation as opposed to sticking it on the market and finding the survey suggests a rewire anyway

it does not have to have a RCD board. but if replacing the existing board, then you need to fit a dual RCD, or RCBO board to comply with current regs. as said previously, visual inspection, lift off accessories, make sure cpc's connected. PIR on whole install. then as long as cable is pvc, not rubber, and tests confirm that the circuits are healthy, you can go ahead and just replace the fuse board and any dodgy fittings. upgrade main earthing and bonding as necessary.. then a EIC for the work done.

Last edited:
If he's just going to sell it on why bother even testing it? Just change the old accessories and fittings for new ones, cover the old CU with a piece of ply and mount a new CU on that. stick on a few stickers and date the next inspection for 2020. It's then a new installation. Job done. Seen it plenty of times.

If he's just going to sell it on why bother even testing it? Just change the old accessories and fittings for new ones, cover the old CU with a piece of ply and mount a new CU on that. stick on a few stickers and date the next inspection for 2020. It's then a new installation. Job done. Seen it plenty of times.
you following me round, LOL.

great idea !!!!

Reply to re wire ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net