Discuss Recommend a product please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As a noob i dont even know the words, so i´ll have to explain...

I´ve got a new bit of land with 3 buildings. The mains and meter are by the entrance gate. I´d like to put a box next to the meter that simply has 3 switches, so i can turn off completely each building in turn.

(each building will have its own distrubution boxes and tripswitches, etc. all to code). Its just all such a mess...

Any advise or tips.

yep ,
you need a spark to sort that out, he will have to go a long way to the job, considering it on the moon!
Yes buzz was going to add it's going to be one big cable to feed that lot, think of the Volt drop, still you wont need an RCD because the install method will be in free air, think the main problem will be what about bonding, no Gas or water on the Lunar surface yet, is there? wonder what sort of mooning they wil use, LL, LNCS, LNC or PMM.

wonder what Ra value you might obtain with a 5ft rod in cheese.

For anyone thats interested, it seems the words needed are "non-fusible electrical disconnects". this gives search results for switch-in-a-box.

The electricity meter has a fuse (so dont need to pay lots more for fused switches - up to you of course). Plus it can be disconnected - Allowing safe installation of the 3 required switches.

So if i install 3 "disconnects" i can continue tracking, testing, and upgrading everything, one step at a time.

oh i just realized this is "electricians" forum, not electrical-stuff forum. Now i understand the replies and tone. My apologies. i will move on...
Hi JR - you will need to know the power required in each building (approx) so the correct equipment can be selected. Single phase or three phase and maximum demand. Do you know the earthing system on the site?

YES you can do it,
But they will be big switch's.
But yes you can do it.
We need to know heaps more to be more specific.
Different area's have different codes.
Not recommended for DIY'ers
We are talking serious amounts of power here
Best done by a trained electrician

230V single phase. (max 180A).
Not in US, but most of internet is US English, so thats why "disconnects". And the reason why i´m here asking what the gizmos and widgets are called!!
The trained electricians around here are ... well below my/any standard, and im a noob! Maybe they are self taught without internet or books. I watched one electrocute himself while talking. Another suggested a 2000money cost for a 150money job. Hence more information.

Interesting about the suppliers fuse. So fused switches are advisable - even though each building will have a distribution box...?

As above, more information would be needed to design this system. Distances, earthing systems, supply type, desigb currents etc as a bare minimum.

IMO it's not a DIY job. Loads more information is required to give an idea of cost etc. The '2000money' might ACTUALLY be a good quote. Where you get this '150money' from I have no idea, but £150.00 is very likely wide of the mark by a long long long way.

230V single phase. (max 180A).
Not in US, but most of internet is US English, so thats why "disconnects". And the reason why i´m here asking what the gizmos and widgets are called!!
The trained electricians around here are ... well below my/any standard, and im a noob! Maybe they are self taught without internet or books. I watched one electrocute himself while talking. Another suggested a 2000money cost for a 150money job. Hence more information.

Interesting about the suppliers fuse. So fused switches are advisable - even though each building will have a distribution box...?

Is the 180A what you need or what's available?

You need to look at equipment (and preferably use terms) that's actually available in the UK, not the US.

If you said where you are, you might find someone on here who could take a look.

Yes, you will need circuit protection that's appropriate for each distribution circuit, not the supplier's fuse.

As a noob i dont even know the words, so i´ll have to explain.

You then describe a job which is (believe me) way beyond what you seem to think is a straight forward task

A noob doing simple electrical work will often get into difficulty, and also often,unknown to them,dangerous work

This is work where you should initially seek design advice,then get prices off electricians to carry out the installation
The prices will give you a idea of cost which at the moment is any figure plucked out of the air by yourself

Reply to Recommend a product please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net