Discuss replacing a cooker switch socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Perfectly acceptable to do providing RCD protection in place (which I can see it is from photo previously posted and presumably works as it has already tripped!), previous CCU not directly behind the cooker/hob etc.

I got called out to a rental a while back where the agents 'handyman' had been called to replace a double that had on switch jam off. When the socket was removed he told the tenant that he couldn't replace it as it was dangerous to use because it had been wired in 'cooker cable'!
(Exactly as you are doing now).
It was perfectly safe to replace and use but had a hard job convincing the tenant and agent who seemed to want to believe their 'trusted' un-qualified handyman!

OP, hopefully you took a photo of how it was before you disconnected anything? If so, perhaps put it back as it was for tonight, now that it's dark. Always best to be doing this sort of work in daylight, particularly when you're new to it.

I am going to put it back to how it was, I still have my telly to watch things could be allot worse, have a good and thanks for your help and time I'll let you know how I get on in the morning.

I am going to put it back to how it was, I still have my telly to watch things could be allot worse, have a good and thanks for your help and time I'll let you know how I get on in the morning.

You may as well lift the RCD up and get your lights back on. As Chris says though, DO NOT switch the MCB on for the cooker circuit - ensure the cooker switch is OFF.

Last edited:
I am going to put it back to how it was, I still have my telly to watch things could be allot worse, have a good and thanks for your help and time, got the light back on happy days I think Ill get a Electrician Monday morning thanks to all.

Let us know what they say and what they do. Some of us on here have shallow meaningless lives and appreciate the little things :);)

If the rest of the house uses Tenby double sockets you could steal one of those as the terminals are big enough to take 2x 6mm wires if needed. I miss Tenby stuff. (Except the light switches with the terminal on the side.)

Reply to replacing a cooker switch socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net