Discuss Replacing light fittings (like for like) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hawk

Was looking at a job for a customer who wants existing lighting replaced. Like for like replacement.
It's a TT system an I've noticed there is no rcd protection! Customer said there was an rcd at a time but got another spark to replace it with a main switch because it kept tripping when a steam cleaner was used! I have made them aware that the installation is dangerous and not up to regulations.
Anyway is it my responsibility to put rcds in if I change the light fittings?

Whole installation needs updated!

Attachments

• IMAG1856.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMAG1855.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG1854.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 113
Sod that. Metal CCU, metal conduit, etc and no earth fault protection if you've already established the Ra isn't low enough to achieve TN values. I wouldn't risk my liberty over a job that would probably be worth under £100.

Hardly seems surprising the original RCD was tripping!

That looks like a cheap Inline fan with no ducting extracting right into the Meter Cupboard in Pic 2 :O

It's an absolute shambles! No it's hi-tuf cable. I said to the client if you had a burst pipe you'd have a plumber out straight away. Just because you can't see electric doesn't mean it's safe!

Absolutely dreadful. I have never seen anything like it in years, bloody illiterate idiots. Maybe they meant the ISO was going to be implemented later?

I don't think it's appropriate simply to change the lights knowing the installation isn't up to scratch. I get the feeling the client knows it isn't simply a case of swapping like for like, otherwise they'd probably be doing it them self.
What kind of property is it? Is that someone's house, or a business?

If they won't agree, change the light, do a MWC outlining the issue, and submit with your invoice!

Once again, a MEIWC (or any certificate for that matter) is completely inappropriate for something which does not comply with BS 7671 and moreover is dangerous.

The whole point of certification is to declare that the work is compliant with the Wiring Regulations.

Once again, a MEIWC (or any certificate for that matter) is completely inappropriate for something which does not comply with BS 7671 and moreover is dangerous.

The whole point of certification is to declare that the work is compliant with the Wiring Regulations.

This is is why the IET are out of touch, as usual!

the certificate is to state the situation, and pass the details to the person ordering the work! Jmo

take your approach and do what? Refuse the work? Allow bob the builder to change the fitting and walk away?

the cert should be to confirm regs met OR otherwise.......

Last edited by a moderator:
This is is why the IET are out of touch, as usual!

the certificate is to state the situation, and pass the details to the person ordering the work! Jmo

take your approach and do what? Refuse the work? Allow bob the builder to change the fitting and walk away?

the cert should be to confirm regs met OR otherwise.......

You can't certify something as compliant when it is non compliant. The forms printed in bs7671 are only there as examples of forms which could be used to certify electrical work, there is nothing to say you must use them, and if you wish to somehow certify a job which is not compliant then you need to design your own certificate for the job.

The certificate is not there to state the situation, it is there to certify. An EICR exists to provide a report about an installation.

Yes the sensible approach is to refuse the work of you cannot carry it out in a compliant manner.

Reply to Replacing light fittings (like for like) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net