Discuss retro fitting rcbo's into a non amd 3 board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hot rod

Hi guys, I've been asked to do an EICR on a property due to be rented out, and i had a quick visual today prior to booking to do the actual test, i noticed the installation has a starbreaker board with 4 circuits not being protected by rcd, which would obviously be a non-compliance for the test, i mentioned to the owner that ideally to have a new consumer unit would be great but he said a electrician friend suggested putting rcbo's on the non protected circuits, where do i stand with putting rcbo's in a plastic consumer unit, as im altering the circuit protection, the guy wants a 'clean bill of health' as such, I know its not classed as imminently dangerous to have a plastic ccu, so would need to be on the EICR as a C3 but i don't want to feel as though i am pushing him to have unnecessary work done.

What circuits aren't RCD protected?

A C3 shouldn't result in an unsatisfactory EICR, and I wouldn't (unless exceptional circumstance) be classing a plastic consumer unit as a defect.

I can't see why not having any rcd protection on the 4 circuits would fail an eicr, if you are talking about cables in walls .... then that would normaly come up as a code 3 , it would only be sockets that can be used out doors that have no rcd protection would give you a code 2 imo , and yes you can fit rcbos in a plastic board as long as the cu is in good condition with no signs of thermal damage

first. why do you think those 4 circuits need RCD protection? if it's only to comply with latest edition of BS7671, then it's a C3 recommendation at worst on an EICR.

Yep, just 4 circuits that would be a C3, for being in the wall, cooker, 2 x lights and smokes.
so yes the installation would be classed as satisfactory, however, he was keen to have them in his words "updated with RCBO'S", one of these clients who thinks they know what they want/need, told him its not essential work nut he was still keen on having full rcd protection but was not so keen on a new board.
explained that the EICR would still have a C3 for the plastic board, but its in a good location, not an escape route not under stairs etc........

sorry if i was unclear, i didnt mean the 4 circuits would cause the EICR to be unsatisfactory, just that they would highlight a non-conformance hence a C3

so fit him the RCBOs. as for the plastic CU i'd not even code it. a C3 means improvement recommended. how would a metal CU be an improvement, unless you're the london fire brigade\/

so fit him the RCBOs. as for the plastic CU i'd not even code it. a C3 means improvement recommended. how would a metal CU be an improvement, unless you're the london fire brigade\/

Same for me - customer seems insistent on it, as long as the CU can house the RCBO's, fit them and charge accordingly. A plastic CU is not a C3.

id be installing a 30ma rcd just before the fuseboard to save money in that instance.
Hmmmm surely that's just making things worse?

Reply to retro fitting rcbo's into a non amd 3 board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net