Discuss Rewire period house in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

asys

Hi I'm looking for some advice.

I have just received quotations varying between £6000 and £9000 to completely rewire a thatched Period house in north Essex as follows:

4 bedrooms, 3 Reception rooms, Office, Dressing room, Dining room, Kitchen, 2 x bathrooms, Utility room, 2 x Outhouses

To include New consumer unit 2dble skts per bedroom and dressing room. 6 x dble skts per reception room and office. 10 x dble skts kitchen. Electric water heating. Power to outhouses. Two ring circuits(upstairs and down) 2 x new lighting circuits. Removal of old wiring. Upgrading earth bonding.
MK Consumer unit and accessories.

Are these quotations within an acceptable range? To my mind there seems to be a wide variance.

i think it sounds reasonable id go for more sockets in the bedrooms tho

Sorry. I meant 4 dble sockets in the bedrooms. Is a £3000 spread normal? I had expected them all to come in within a few hundred pounds. How long would you expect it it to do the job? No one has committed on a timescale.

Sorry. I meant 4 dble sockets in the bedrooms. Is a £3000 spread normal? I had expected them all to come in within a few hundred pounds. How long would you expect it it to do the job? No one has committed on a timescale.
YOU WILL ALLWAYS GET VARYING QUOTES AS DIFFERENT OPERATIONS HAVE DIFFERENT OVERHEADS,IE A COUPLE OF BLOKES WORKING OUT OF A VAN WILL ALLWAYS BE ABLE TO DO IT CHEAPER THAN A BIGGER COMPANY THAT HAS TO PAY OFFICE STAFF ETC ETC .MAKE SURE YOU GET IT IN WRITING EXACTLY WHATS INCLUDED AND APPROX LENGTH OF TIME FOR JOB THEN YOU SHOULD AVOID THE DREADED EXTRAS.;)

this quote tells us very little about the construction and state of the property.

better to stick to a "local" who wil have a more vested interest in doing a good job. Also what spec fittings etc. And what are the walls made of?

Depending on how old the house is make sure the people carrying out the work are well insured, as if something happens and their not it could cost you a fortune to have repairs done. :eek:

16th Century thatched cottage. Timber frame, wattle and daub walls Most current wiring is exposed. Run long and down beams.

The house is 16th century, timber framed, thatched with mainly wattle and daub walls. All existing wiring is on the surface. Mainly clipped to the beams

House is 16th century, timber framed, thatched, mainly wattle and daub walls. Current wiring is exposed mainly clipped to beams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably would have been around the 7k mark if I was guestimating this, but could easily go higher if the builing is a difficult one or lots of fancy lighting. Without more details - impossible.

The house is 16th century, timber framed, thatched with mainly wattle and daub walls. All existing wiring is on the surface. Mainly clipped to the beams

House is 16th century, timber framed, thatched, mainly wattle and daub walls. Current wiring is exposed mainly clipped to beams.

Do quite alot of period houses and the quote sounds fair
You get more variance in prices on these places than a "bog standard" rewire as some contractors are more used to doing them and can turn the job round quicker and have experrience of the unique problems.
Doing a 3 bed 15th century house with a new build bathroom extension, all wiring to be concealed (the biggest headache), with full underfloor heating system. Won the job at 11k which 3rd lowest qoute in a range from 9 to 18k.

Reply to Rewire period house in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock