Discuss RGB strip lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Duncan Fisken

Hi there

I'm trying to piece together what I will need to create a lighting system for my home cinema. I'm not an electrician so won't be fitting it... however I would like to understand my options so that I can source what I need.
I'm struggling to understand exactly what I need and have come a little unstuck, I'm therefore looking for your expert guidance.
Basically the system will be made up of 3 different light sources.

1. Halogen bulb starscape dome star ceiling.
2. 10 x 240 v LED dimmable down lighters.
3. 16m of 5050 RGB strip light (14.4w per m) in one circuit then then another 16 in another. I'm looking to have a low level halo behind a reveal going all the way around the room one circuit of 16m. Then a halo around the star doom and a halo around the screen.

I believe the first two are fairly simply and can be used with the Lutron GRX3104 switch that I wanted to use for the whole system.

The bit I'm struggling with is the RGB strip lighting. I tried the Lutron support team but the answers I got weren't exactly helpful.
Basically I want to understand what I can/can't use with the luton switch and if I can't what ideas do people have and if I can what do I need.

I had hoped to use the zen controller and flexidrivers in the link below as they seemed an ideal way of controlling the colour changing elements.

How to control tens or hundreds of Meters of RGB LED Tape

The halo around the screen would be one channel on the zen controller another the halo around the screen and the third being the reveal around the room.

I hope all this makes sense and I'm hoping someone can help me, please.

Thanks in advance

Duncan

The RGB strip needs to have a controller for dimming and colour management. A driver(s) is needed to supply the DC, either 12 or 24. Buy strip and controller together, size driver on load of each total strip cct. Connect driver(S) to output of switch(s). Hopefully the controller will remember the last setting when the switch is off.

As you are not installing this it would be easier for you to get the installer to specify what you need and connect it correctly for you.
You are currently attempting to use a tape that has twice the power of the design for the zen equipment you wish to use, the dimmer/controllers will not be able to cope with the intended current draw. Each tape run would need to be split between channels to be able to run this.
The lutron unit should be OK so long as each block of light is on a separate channel.
You are also trying to mesh two separate systems doing very similar things so it is important to keep the control of dimming through one type of controller only, they may not be compatible.

Thanks for the info. I've realised my original post was slightly inaccurate.

basically I'm looking for the Lutron to have the following

circuit 1 50w halogen bulb star ceiling.
curcuit 2 10 x gu10 7w 240v led dimmable bulbs
circuit 3 low level RGB strip lighting
circuit 4 halo rgb lighting around screen and star ceiling.

then on the zen they'll be 4 zones each able to handle up to 180w

so circuit 1 and 2 will share responsibility for the low level RGB lighting then 3 will handle the halo around the screen and 4 around the star ceiling so around 115w per zone.

i hope this makes more sense.

Reply to RGB strip lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net