Discuss S plan advice please... in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon Chaps

Not my favorite subject heating, after some advice please.

Recently wired an S Plan system, water is boiling hot even with stat turned down to 45degrees.

Back Tuesday to get my testers out and check it out.

Faulty cyclinder stat maybe? Or is it possible to wire the stat the wrong way round, didn't think so?

Many Thanks

Sy

GEORDIE.... where art thou? sounds like a dodgy stat.

Afternoon Chaps

Not my favorite subject heating, after some advice please.

Recently wired an S Plan system, water is boiling hot even with stat turned down to 45degrees.

Back Tuesday to get my testers out and check it out.

Faulty cyclinder stat maybe? Or is it possible to wire the stat the wrong way round, didn't think so?

Many Thanks

Sy
is the immersion on and cranked up?

Did check that one, nope not been on
other one before pulling it apart, dials on stats seem to sometimes work 'backwards' for want of better description! of course, i've never kept adjusting a stat lower and lower only to find water still scalding and find that 40 n 90 had mysteriously swapped places, nor have had immersion on as above!!! fortunately, if i had, it would probably have been at home!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i find easiest method to check water not heating with rads (zone valve problem) is lower cylinder stat, crank up room stat and feel flow/return at cylinder. similarly, lower room stat and turn up/down cylinder stat whilst holding flow/return at cylinder to check operation. you can then combine the two to check if priority (if called for) is given. sorry if telling to suck eggs but, for me, it's easier than testing electrically initially and narrows the search

GEORDIE.... where art thou? sounds like a dodgy stat.

Been out for a little drive aboot and lunch with TB.

Having a nap now, but it sounds like its an arseabootbollox stat or maybe the little micro switch thingy on the zone valve is wired arseabootbollox.

Just chuck the whole lot out & fit a decent Combi. - problem sorted!! ;)

Having a nap now, but it sounds like its an arseabootbollox stat or maybe the little micro switch thingy on the zone valve is wired arseabootbollox.
loving the terminology!
is that also known as a 'tidy boiler'?

either that or a plumber has wired it.

Are you sure you haven't got the 2 ports the wrong way around so theoretically your water is heating up but waiting for your room thermostat to reach temperature which won't happen unless you have the heating cranked up as well. Just a thought, if not I'd replace the cylinder stat

Are you sure you haven't got the 2 ports the wrong way around so theoretically your water is heating up but waiting for your room thermostat to reach temperature which won't happen unless you have the heating cranked up as well. Just a thought, if not I'd replace the cylinder stat

Aye, I think I'd be tempted to disconnect all wiring relating to DHW and concentrate on getting just the CH working as it should then concentrate on the DHW a bit at a time testing as you go.

If you try to look at the whole thing at once you can end-up not being able to see the wood for the trees, so break it down into smaller more manageable bits.

And remember; when you're up to your ar$e in alligators it's difficult to remember that your first priority was to drain the swamp.

Aye, I think I'd be tempted to disconnect all wiring relating to DHW and concentrate on getting just the CH working as it should then concentrate on the DHW a bit at a time testing as you go.

If you try to look at the whole thing at once you can end-up not being able to see the wood for the trees, so break it down into smaller more manageable bits.

And remember; when you're up to your ar$e in alligators it's difficult to remember that your first priority was to drain the swamp.

I agree re it's sometimes quicker to just disconnect and reconnect, but to answer the other question if you connected the cylinder stat backwards it would make connect on fall rather than rise so that wouldn't be the cause of the boiling water.

I agree re it's sometimes quicker to just disconnect and reconnect, but to answer the other question if you connected the cylinder stat backwards it would make connect on fall rather than rise so that wouldn't be the cause of the boiling water.

Please bear with me here.

Having spent an afternoon with Tidyboiler I'm a bit dazed & confused now (but happy) but surely you WANT the cylinder stat to close on temperature fall. That would then open the zone valve, the micro switch on the zone valve would fire the boiler, the water in the cylinder would get hot, then the cylinder stat would open and the return spring on the zone valve would close the valve and open the contacts on the micro switch shutting the boiler down.

Got the plumber to fire it all up when we were all done on site the other week and confirmed happy, CH as should be, but presume he didnt wait to check DHW temp.

Its only when customer popped along at weekend to try out that they discovered boiling hot water.

Hopefully shouldn't be too much trouble to sort.

Thanks for all your help.

Got the plumber to fire it all up when we were all done on site the other week and confirmed happy, CH as should be, but presume he didnt wait to check DHW temp.

Its only when customer popped along at weekend to try out that they discovered boiling hot water.

Hopefully shouldn't be too much trouble to sort.

Thanks for all your help.

The lazy sod SHOULD have checked it all AND instructed the customer how to use it before he left !!!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't recall you complaining earlier.............................................. pet. :dita:

I wasn't and I'm not ............................................. pet ;)

Reply to S plan advice please... in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net