Discuss Saturday Morning Entertainment.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd have done that as fast and q lot neater with an old fashioned cold chisel and lump hammer ... and I never think I am that neat tbh!

Is it just me, or did he appear to be bashing around next to either a white PVC conduit or some sort of gas or water pipe in the second place he was attempting to sink a box? If I'm right he clearly neither knew or cared.

What a wally!

would need bonding to fix them boxes lol

That's how I do it, with bonding I mean. I chase out, then mix up a fairly stiff bonding plaster mix, then bed the boxes in along with the cable in one hit. It means that the boxes are always fully secured in the wall all the way around, and sit flat and flush to the wall. No plasterers involved, and if I corrupt the mix a bit, it's gone off in 20 mins and I can start 2nd fix. Before I leave, I can put a coat of easy-sand plaster over the whole lot ready for decorating. Just done a kitchen alteration in this fashion this weekend for my brother in law actually.

That's how I do it, with bonding I mean. I chase out, then mix up a fairly stiff bonding plaster mix, then bed the boxes in along with the cable in one hit. It means that the boxes are always fully secured in the wall all the way around, and sit flat and flush to the wall. No plasterers involved, and if I corrupt the mix a bit, it's gone off in 20 mins and I can start 2nd fix. Before I leave, I can put a coat of easy-sand plaster over the whole lot ready for decorating. Just done a kitchen alteration in this fashion this weekend for my brother in law actually.
what do you store the bonding in? plastic tubs or just keep a bag of it?

what do you store the bonding in? plastic tubs or just keep a bag of it?
just a bag of it. If it's old, the better as it goes off quickly, otherwise you can corrupt the mix a bit to make it go off quicker. I did some kitchen alterations for my sister a couple of weeks ago and the old bonding I used went off in 20 mins so I cracked on with the 2nd fix and when I left all the sockets faces were on all ready for the plasterer later in the week.

Once you've done it this way once you'll realise what a handy trick it is to have in the bag. All the back boxes sit perfectly, no nailing or capping, and all cables out of harms way. If I am making good for decorating, before I leave I will put I wide coat of easy sand over it leaving the customer with only a light sand and a coat of paint which most people can handle.

Reply to Saturday Morning Entertainment.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net