Discuss SB 4000TL - excess power in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If DC power is greater than rated input the inverter alters voltage to keep current within limits, thereby limiting power. This is why Sunnyboy design will let you put 4.9kW on when is says 4.2kW max in; the system will not convert all energy in the height of summer when it backs off but work very well overall. 10-20% oversizing of panels to inverter used to be the rule of thumb for system design.

Energetic - see emglish install manual here http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/5692/SB30TL_40TL_50TL-IEN103630.pdf from excellent sma site here SUNNY BOY 3000TL / 4000TL / 5000TL. SMA Solar Technology AG
It's my understanding that uk units should be preset to G83/1 and the dials won't alter that set parameter without Grid Guard protection code. Are you sure 5 8 is correct? It's G83/1 but it shows grid guard not set and I'm sure the std uk parameter is for grid guard set. Do you know what dials were on originally from box?

They come set to 0,0 normally but there is a seperate leaflet in the box stating the UK G83 settings (5,8) that should be applied. Not all the units supplied in the UK are UK units. This one is a french one going by the manual but the g83 settings can be specified on the dials.

Have had a look through the manual and spoken to the tech guy at our supplier and he's not heard of this happening before. We'll be chasing it up with SMA tomorrow.

Got a message on a 4000TL today stating: MOD GRID PARAM NOT POS during commissioning. It will not accept the G83 settings (5,8). All the manuals came in french... Have i got a french inverter that will not speak to our grid? it doesn't work on any other settings either as far as i can tell... setting 0,1 and 0,0 on the dials states: 'parameters not changed' possibly with 'grid' at the front, cant remember now... Anyone had this stuff from a Sunny before? They've all worked first time before...

I've had this on two 4000 TLS( both yellow in colour although I'm not sure thats any indicator of they which country they are meant for) these both had German manuals only
Turn it off wait a while set the dials like you said A 5 B 8 recomission , thats worked both times although its worth setting them on zero then to 5/8 as the rotary switches can look correct but still be slightly off .
I had to speak to Sma on tuesday and found them to be very helpful

Last edited:
"The results of the G83/1 tests are summarized in this certificate. SMA declares that all devices (with G83 setting) that are shipped to the UK comply with the requirements defined in engineering recommendation G83/1. These setting cannot be changed by an installer, user or by any other person without the use of a tool (password protected). Complete documentation on test details are available at SMA on demand."

The above quote is taken from the G83/1 certificate for 4000TL http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/1807/G83-1_4000TL_20-ZEN092811.pdf
If the inverter you have is not protected from re programming parameters is it perhaps the case that it is no longer G83/1 compliant?

no I spoke to Sma they checked serial no and told me what to do and that as long as its set correctly on dials that it would conform to G83
but I suppose it may be possible that someone could set it to another countries settings which may have different parameters which would make it non compliant but thats down to the Installer to check

Can't find the source now but I thought under G83/1 if the inverter was programmable it had to be made tamper proof, as per the sma certificate which certifies that all UK stock is password protected to prevent alteration. So if the dials are in fact re-setting the country paramaters without the need of password then it is no longer tamper proof

I know what you're saying.The G83 commissioning declaration for our DNO states this:

"The protection settings are protected from alteration except
by prior written agreement between *DNO* and the Customer
or his agent."

Which they arent for G83 UK settings... Unless you use superglue... Why would anyone want to alter them tho? Oh right, i think i know...

But see again the wording on SMA's G83/1 certificate for the 4000TL
http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/1807/G83-1_4000TL_20-ZEN092811.pdf
I think any unit intended for UK distribution should be preset at the factory and then Grid Guard set so that you can twirl the knobs any way you like but they won't alter the G83/1 settings. If moving your knobs is changing the parameters (without password use) I think it indicates that the unit was not preset at the factory for UK use, which is perhaps supported by the lack of an english manual in the box. I think the 5 8 setting will set it to G83/1 but not with Grid Guard set, ie not tamper proof as a factory preset UK unit would be, which means strictly it would not satisfy your DNO's request.

Energetic - see emglish install manual here http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/5692/SB30TL_40TL_50TL-IEN103630.pdf from excellent sma site here SUNNY BOY 3000TL / 4000TL / 5000TL. SMA Solar Technology AG
It's my understanding that uk units should be preset to G83/1 and the dials won't alter that set parameter without Grid Guard protection code. Are you sure 5 8 is correct? It's G83/1 but it shows grid guard not set and I'm sure the std uk parameter is for grid guard set. Do you know what dials were on originally from box?

We have had a similar issue to Energetic and having spoken to SMA they are issuing the grid guard code so we can set the inverter from default to the UK setting via Sunny Explorer. Anyone have to do this before?

Reply to SB 4000TL - excess power in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net