Discuss sky wireless broadband in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi , hope you can help me on my way of sorting my wee problem, if i have 1.

someone has asked me to set up there sky wireless broadband, their pc hasnt got wireless , would a wireless broadband adapter be all i need to set this up as the pc is in different room from phoneline??? cheers if you can make this clear tio me as im not into computers that much.. thanks

Wireless lan adapter (either USB or PCI) would do you, is it for a laptop, if so then USB is the way to go. It's a LAN (local area network) between the broadband modem/router and the PC (not broadband).

no not laptop just old rectangle and square computer, isit something as simple as this i need BELKIN F6D4050ed 150N Wireless USB Network Adapter at cheap prices | PC World
Yep, that'll probably do the job.

Wireless comes in a number of generations A/B/G/N ... N is the more recent (and faster up to 300MB/Sec) but can operate at 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz so find out what the sky router uses. It may only be a type G router (it'll be in the docs for it) ... the standards are 802.11.

going to set it up now see if i can pick it up on my laptop....???? would i need to put disc in my laptop??? or shoul i just pick it up as im in the house in question..??

First thing you'll need to do is go to the router config panel (usually accessed via a web page on the router) and make sure the wireless part of the router is turned on (may have a light on the front of the router (not sure about sky equipment)). It will probably come turned on by default ... with no security on it ... fine to set up with, but you'll want to enable security ... at least WEP, preferably WPA2 for security later. Even then, IT IS NOT SECURE, so warn them not to do any internet banking etc via wireless.

Then search for the network on your laptop and see if you can see the network. You'll probably have the abiltity to assign a SID to the network so it will be recognisable.

Turn on the router there are 3 lights on light green wireless light flashes when working or stays on when not working small@ light on when BB is present

the CD with router has a step by step guid so easy my wife had ours set up before I got in

the wireless router is at front door, is there much in turning that bt socket into two??? can you buy a adapter pack or something????

What are you trying to achieve? Two ADSL ports or multiple phones?

There are two main types of master socket. One splits into ADSL/Line, the other you have to use filters everywhere you plug a phone in to the line.

it would just be for wirelless router so is out of way in room behind where its sitting
I'm not sure I understand ... Do you mean you want to move the router to somewhere else in the house and leave a socket for phone connection in the original location?

If so, yes, you can do that, but you may suffer some more signal degredation that will manifest itself as a (slight) speed reduction.

so would i just buy a bt socket and some cable and double up in connections?? if is simple as that??? i oubt

or could i just buy a plug in adapterwich would split the socket into two, one for phone and other for extension to different room

OK, lets take this one step at a time.

Starting at the phone line coming in, you will have a pair of incomming wires for your (assuming single line) connection. That pair will terminate at your master socket. That master socket will be one of two types. The first will just be a normal phone jack (RJ45). The second will be an RJ45 and RJ11 connector. IE the latter splits it into dedicated phone and dedicated ADSL line respectively.

To move it depends on which type of master socket you have. If it's the latter type then you can just run an extension from RJ45 to RJ45 from the master socket to your new location. If it's the former then you can run a normal extension to the new location (but then as previously stated all phone connections to that line MUST use an adsl filter to avoid interfering with the broadband signal).

cheers top , going to have a look tomorrow, would most wholesalers stock these extensions.. is there anthing you think i would nee to be aware of..??

Most wholesalers will stock the necessary cable and accessories (faceplates/RJ connectors etc). Just keep in mind that BT own the cabling up to and including the master socket. Also if you are planning to make up your own cables you'll need a crimp tool for the RJ connectors and probably an IDC tool for the cables (although a lot of accessories come with a cheap use once then throw away tool).

My routers in the understair cupboard not just to hide it but its middle of the house so get a not bad signal where ever i am signal strenth isnt like the adverts tho dont expect to much distance

Reply to sky wireless broadband in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net