Discuss Socket/ switch heights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I I always do sockets and switch heights from chipboard floor/ screws. Guy I’m working with adjusts it depending what flooring might be there, which I can see the point but you’ll have different heights in some rooms only by10mm or so. Seems a bit inconsistent to me.

What do most people do?

Thanks

Hi

I I always do sockets and switch heights from chipboard floor/ screws. Guy I’m working with adjusts it depending what flooring might be there, which I can see the point but you’ll have different heights in some rooms only by10mm or so. Seems a bit inconsistent to me.

What do most people do?

Thanks

Nobody is going to notice that a socket is 10mm higher in the lounge than the living room. It's not like we place them accurate to the millimeter.

Yer I agree I just wondered what most do as I’ve always done it from the chipboard so in theory a building inspector could say it’s not 450 by the time 10/15mm of flooring is added.

Has anyone had this problem? Made me doubt my method.

Yer I agree I just wondered what most do as I’ve always done it from the chipboard so in theory a building inspector could say it’s not 450 by the time 10/15mm of flooring is added.

Has anyone had this problem? Made me doubt my method.
The 450mm height malarkey only applies to NEW buildings. Not to renovations, not to extensions.
It is a requirement of part M / disabled access . Together with socket heights there’s ramps , wheelchair access in ground floor WCs, all sorts.

Just put them nearish the height of all the other sockets in the house.

Off plans, heights are usually specified off FFL… finished floor level… so there should be someone on site knows where to measure from.
Applies to new builds.
As above, if there are existing switches and sockets, you can put the same height…. As long as it’s not skirting board height from 100 years ago.

In new builds always do it to the finished height of the flooring. I saw a new build fail inspection because the handrail on the stairs didn't account for carpet and the finished thing wasn't high enough.

A 30MPH speed limit in a built up area is a maximum speed, not a target. Similarly 450mm is the minimum height for a socket.
Set them at 500mm from the floor, and the perceived problem won't occur, even if the covering is thicker than you anticipate.
When I first started out, there was a short lived fashion for sockets 1000mm from the ground.

Thanks for the responses. Rarely on new builds. Always extensions etc and when it’s all new I’ve just done it as 450 bottom. In future I’ll do it 500.
So the part M just covers new builds so on a renovation which includes a rewire do you think it’s worth correcting the sockets for the 15mm of the laminate floor?

Or am I just over thinking it.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Rarely on new builds. Always extensions etc and when it’s all new I’ve just done it as 450 bottom. In future I’ll do it 500.
So the part M just covers new builds so on a renovation which includes a rewire do you think it’s worth correcting the sockets for the 15mm of the laminate floor?

Or am I just over thinking it.

Thanks

I think you're overthinking it.

But on an extension I'd put them the same height as the rest of the property.

Last edited:
Off plans, heights are usually specified off FFL… finished floor level… so there should be someone on site knows where to measure from.
Applies to new builds.
As above, if there are existing switches and sockets, you can put the same height…. As long as it’s not skirting board height from 100 years ago.
Nothing wrong with skirting board height switches, it means someone with no arms can kick them on.

Reply to Socket/ switch heights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net