Discuss Soft start and high current draw in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had one today I can’t get my head around. 4Kw motor connected to an Allen Bradley soft start. The panel runs 2 motors Both 4kw. I was called originally due to one motor not running. This turned out to be a tripped the motor circuit breaker (one with adjustable current dial). I tested the rest of the circuit all was fine so ran the motor again tested running current was all good. I stopped that motor and switched it back to the second motor. When started current remained high for longer then usual and tripped a feeder further back. i again tested number 2 circuit and was all good. Then ran it up and back to normal again. Just can’t get my head round this one?
Any advice would be appreciated

I can't follow the configuration - is there one soft-start and two motors of which only one is used at a time, or two soft-starts or what? Is it the type of soft-start that chops two lines while the other goes straight through? Did the line current drop back when the soft-start bypass relay closed? Was the current high perhaps because the motor was mechanically overloaded, and that overload has now been removed? Were all three line currents equal once the bypass was closed - this is usually a sign that the motor itself is intact.

Reply to Soft start and high current draw in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Friend of mines dryer machine has stopped working, 2 days out of warranty. I am trying to help theme out as money is tight for them however, I'm...
Replies
Views
Good day to you. I need electrical drawings urgently and hopefully there is someone that can assist me. They are all for electrical trade test...
Replies
Views
Heeelp! I have an 11kW/21A motor which is attached to a hydraulic power pack. I have replaced the old panels with new, using the same star delta...
Replies
Views
I've just picked one of these up on a famous auction site. The voltages, low and high resistance ranges all appear to be working fine but it's not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Been a while since I have been on here. I have been on an apprenticeship the last 3 years training in the BMS world. Taking that into...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock