Search the forum,

Discuss Some Sparky's have no sense of fair play. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

baldsparkies

Just called to a property for a second opinion.
Glad they did!!
Young couple, 2 kids.
Been saving for a new kitchen, and called in a registered installer. ie jack of all. Gas safe, nappit, ect ect.
The guy told them that before they could install the kitchen the electrics needed sorting.
It was dangerous and a full re wire was required because its not up to current regulations. £5,500 quoted.
Now for the reason they wanted a second opinion.
The property was fully rewired back in 1993. Certificates provided, and they were shown to this guy who said they were ten years out of date.
True, but not a train crash.
The install was still up to the job PVC of course.
New board with RCDs for a bit of extra protection, upgrade to water and gas bonds (which by luck were local to the board position.)
So nothing to drastic.
They were very worried because a five and a half grand hit would have destroyed there budget. And they would have needed to raise the extra funds through a loan, or credit card.
I said look somewhere else for there kitchen installer. We could conduct a E.I.C.R. and any remedial works needed along with current certs for a very small fraction of what this guys asking.
I mean a couple of hundred as opposed to thousands would bring a perfectly good install up to the mark for any kitchen (special location) works.
Makes me mad when I see young couples with little kids or the elderly being shafted like this.
And by a so called registered installer.
Still seems to be happening though. My advice get more than one opinion. There are honest sparkies out there between the woods and the trees.

Theres at least 1 sparky round my way going round telling customers they have "illegal" fuseboards!!

Fortunately for me, most seem wise enough to seek a 2nd opinion!

1. EIC's have no expiry date.
2. why rewire entire house when scope of works is limited to 1 room
3. why am i not surprised by the mickey mouse antics within the domestic sector
;-D

1. EIC's have no expiry date.
2. why rewire entire house when scope of works is limited to 1 room
3. why am i not surprised by the mickey mouse antics within the domestic sector
;-D

Though i know what you mean here, sometimes, (not in this case) the house wiring is in a far more desperate need of replacing than the planned kitchen installation!! lol!! I've never quite understood some homeowners, that will happily spend 20 Grand on an all singing all dancing kitchen, that they can show off to friends and family. But refuse point blank at replacing the old Wylex 3036 CU!! They would rather add another small CU just for the kitchen!!

Though i know what you mean here, sometimes, (not in this case) the house wiring is in a far more desperate need of replacing than the planned kitchen installation!! lol!! I've never quite understood some homeowners, that will happily spend 20 Grand on an all singing all dancing kitchen, that they can show off to friends and family. But refuse point blank at replacing the old Wylex 3036 CU!! They would rather add another small CU just for the kitchen!!

very true Eng , but if whole house needed rewire you wont be calling in a limited scope kitchen fitter / plumber in the first place lol.

very true Eng , but if whole house needed rewire you wont be calling in a limited scope kitchen fitter / plumber in the first place lol.

Who in their right mind, would let a kitchen fitter anywhere near the electrical installation in the first place!! lol!! Trouble is, most of these homeowners can be baffled by these people.

This limited scope crap the scheme providers are dishing out willy nilly, to non electrical tradesmen only makes the matter worse, and can convince those that know no different, that they know what they are doing!!

On these installs a dual RCD board is a nice upgrade. Provided the kitchen appliances dont up the max demand figures to much its always a good starting point. Also if the ground floor ring can be re wired to omit the kitchen. Its nice to have an extra few ways available in the board and then run kitchen ringmains and radials accordingly.
Also nice to have the fridge freezer fed from an rcbo from the high integ busbar.
Denmans do some pretty decent boards with that provision for sensible money.
Its a TN-S system on this property so not a fussy upgrade regarding earthing arrangements.
My point is a 20 year old pvc install has a lot of good years left in it.
Sure Mr DIY may have had a few goes at it. But on a visual nothing was seen that would cause concern.
Any self respecting sparkie would have known this.
This guy was plainly a fallout from the wonder course brigade.
Just makes me sick when I see people being conned in this way.
Just glad this mob steer clear of the heavier commercial 3 phase work which is usually way out of there league.
We find that most of the facilities managers for the bigger companies we do work for are more interested in seeing a JIB card rather than the NICEIC registration of our company.
A wise precaution really. Just because your companies registered with a scheme provider.
Doesnt make the guy on the end of the tool competant or qualified.
I do feel for the domestic sparks though.
Its to easy for non experianced to try there hand in that particuler field and get there bits of paper from registered bodies far to easily.
Not good as my experience today has proved. Just glad I was able to steer them in the right direction. Really nice family bless em.

Reply to Some Sparky's have no sense of fair play. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net