Discuss Any thoughts or advice.? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
joined today to hopefully get some professional advice, (friendly or not!!), the scenario is we do property maintenance for a few landlords and had been asked to carry out a eicr on a property, our usual electrician is still in Australia at the moment, so used a local contractor who was recommended to us, absolutely nothing wrong with this guy, the property in question is the problem it is a flat above a chemist, the water supply and gas meter are within said chemist, the problem being bonding to gas and water, the incoming water is a 15mm that just bursts through the stair well wall into the stop clock for the flat, God knows where the gas enters from, we tried to get access to the chemist but were denied (have to request etc, DUE TO COVID??) There is no bonding showing at main incoming for either, he said he needs to see in the chemist to visualise the set up, which I agree with, I phoned our usual sparks and he said to instruct the new sparky to find where enters the flat and run bonding there, which I did but the new man said No way until hes seen the set up incase it's been bonded to the shops supply, and that hed have to check to see if the fact the gas meter is in another property would count as external .? I'm a trusting fellow and what they both say makes sense to me, and of day the new man is the one I'm asking to put his name to something so appreciate that but surely there must be a clear answer in the regs or is it a interpretation thing, any views would be much appreciated thanks

It seems like both electricians are worth listening to, but there's only one on site, at present. As you say, it is awkward, in the present situation, but it is important to find out exactly how the installation is put together. As regards the water, you've got the incoming stopcock (not clock, by the way).
If the gas meter is in the chemist's, access is needed, it seems.
I'm thinking, though, it is ONE building and if the original gas, water (and electric) provide for both premises, where's the problem in bonding?

It seems like both electricians are worth listening to, but there's only one on site, at present. As you say, it is awkward, in the present situation, but it is important to find out exactly how the installation is put together. As regards the water, you've got the incoming stopcock (not clock, by the way).
If the gas meter is in the chemist's, access is needed, it seems.
I'm thinking, though, it is ONE building and if the original gas, water (and electric) provide for both premises, where's the problem in bonding?
Hi thanks for the reply, your right with the stopcock darn auto spell !, it appears as its shares water supply and gas meter is located in chemist but electrics are separate, I can only guess at the moment about the gas not being shared, I believe the chemists dont use gas as have done maintenance in several of their shops across the south, but as you say I think I need to wait and get access, the only question then is is the gas meter classed as external to our property ? As I believe then he could find entry point and bond there rather then close to the union nut etc, of course as long as it's not been bonded onto their electrics lol, very poor set up, but about time that landlords etc now require them to be tested more often, thanks again

Why not get your electrician to test the gas pipe as it enters the property as to whether it is bonded or not. And even if it is, there's no reason not to bond it at the point of entry to the property to satisfy the EICR. After all, in the case of a flat where the services are bonded on the ground floor, it is recommended that they also be bonded in the flat as well.

Reply to Any thoughts or advice.? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net