Discuss Sprinter theft no key in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yozza19

-
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Had my 2017 sprinter stolen the other night in Liverpool withought the key

I managed to find the van with all my tools tester ect missing but all sorts of crow bars and sledge hammers in the back

It was on false plates to 64 plate

No glass had been smashed but front 1/4 window seal had been removed
To gain access they stole it at 12:05
And had removed the tracker by 12:12

Apparently there so easy to steal under 4 minutes only way to stop them is the old fashioned disc lock

Ford transits are the same mj Quinn had 34 vans go in a week 28 sprinters and 6 transits so be carful our there

I keep saying it.. While the old bill don't see it as a crime it's only going to get worse.

They tried to do over our vans on a 24/7 guarded industrial estate, we also have central station monitored CCTV. They had a go and slightly damaged a door on one van before being disturbed and legging it.

With a lot of the modern vans i am told by a police officer that if they can get access to the obd port then they can plug a little machien in and then programme a blank key from online. they just need to carefully open the window or if brazen they just smash window and do it quick when on a remote unwatched location. If they are out thieving on your front drive they will do the stealthy slow method... you can get littel devices to block off the obd port.

Could I be forgiven for thinking the car manufacturers are on a promise from the tea leaves? I humbly submit there is no compelling reason for obd port to be able to access the car's security subroutines (should require cpu removal). And then the whole repeater method of theft for keyless entry cars - what were they thinking when they set it so the key is always transmitting? It's a bit like clothes dryers without thermal cut outs ...

Forgive me for being a bit archaic but how did they get round the steering lock? I agree with the later posts though, it is beyond belief that you can do all this from an easily accessible computer port. The people that design these systems must be daft, or not particularly interested in security?

Well you did park it in Liverpool overnight with all your tools and testing gear your asking for trouble...?

What were you expecting ?

They don't need keys they just peel back the slide door like a sardine tin or cut straight through the metal and peel it back.

Last edited:
With a lot of the modern vans i am told by a police officer that if they can get access to the obd port then they can plug a little machien in and then programme a blank key from online. they just need to carefully open the window or if brazen they just smash window and do it quick when on a remote unwatched location. If they are out thieving on your front drive they will do the stealthy slow method... you can get littel devices to block off the obd port.
Can you ask him if they can do it to an 08 plate Vauxhall Combo?? Hopefully this isn't a "modern" van......

I thought the steering disc locks were a waste of time. I think it was watchdog the guy had the disc lock off in no time. Any decent solution to this problem? Many thanks

The disclock brand which fully enclose the steering wheel are pretty good if the correct size unit is used.
The other types which don’t fully enclose the wheel are easily defeated

These folks really are scum...It gets to the point where if you add a little extra security, they just cause more damage to the van gaining entry ie by actually cutting through the side of the body work...

I am not sure what the answer is as even a site type security box in the back is apparently not fool proof these days.

I would not own or run my own van in a big city.. and 100% would never leave my tools/drills in it overnight in a city.

I was on my way home from the gym once late at night and caught a lad starring through my gfs car window. I coasted past him slow first stalking my prey then left my car and I ran through some front gardens on the final moments only a spotty teen but I put the fear of god in him. I had hold of him and he started crying. Her handbag was in the footwell.:confused:

Last edited:

Reply to Sprinter theft no key in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net