Discuss static caravan test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jean1972

Hello
I work for a company that sells new and used caravans.
I have got 2330 level 2 and level 3 , 2382 (17-th edition), and 2392 inspection and testing
When we selling caravan i going connect it to house's CCU (if private) or to fuse box on the pitch (if holiday park).
I testing all caravans in depot before we selling.
My questions are:
1. Can I sign of certificate for testing in depot (with 2392 not 2391)?
2. If yes, which certificate? What about Ze, Zs?
3. If I connect caravan for customer I must test just connection from house CCU (or pitch fuse box) to caravan CCU or all installation inside caravan?

what tests do you do at depot?Zs cant be done without connection once its moved to site, you need to check in BGB about caravan situations,i am pretty sure you cant just connect to house unit,i think it might need to be made TT and be seperate earth from house.

I doing death tests for all circuits. Yes i doing separate TT system for caravan, but same people told me that I can test installation inside caravan because i don't have 2391 and i didn't do that installation. I can test just my job (connection caravan to house or pitch). Other people told me if i connect caravan i must test installation inside caravan.

Firstly, there are different grades of caravan, one is self propelled and the other is towed. The self propelled have leisure batteries which also need checking, which introduces some extra checks.
Otherwise, testing the final circuits inside caravans is more or less the same test sequence as for any fixed installation, with a few exceptions, particularly the 'death Test', we don't do that one on purpose on any installation.

Its usually common to check the Zs against a known supply characteristics. This would be done at a socket withing the manufacturing area specifically put aside for testing purposes.

The NICEIC have promforma test certs that cover all the necessary tests for caravans

You will be able to carry out most of the dead tests in the depot, but obviously you can't do live tests without the supply which the caravan will be used on.
To issue certificates you will need to be a member of a competent persons scheme such as Elecsa or NICEIC - it would be advisable to check with them as to their specific requirements.

I am currently registered in Elecsa, but same people told me that i can't test caravan inside because i didn't do this installation (i have got 2392 not 2391) and they said I can test just my job (connection to house or pitch).
Other people said if you connect caravan you must test everything. It confuse me.

If you didn't do the installation you can't test it as if you did - you'd have to issue an EICR, although it would be best to check with Elecsa because they are the body whose logo you'll be using.
When I worked in a caravan factory we did the dead testing before the van went out to the customer. As I said you can't test an earth electrode if it hasn't been installed, so that and the live testing would need to be done on site. That's something else you could check with Elecsa.

There's no reason why you can't test the circuits inside the caravan and issue an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) and then do a separate EIC for the final mains connection etc.

Does the company you work for only sell and NOT manufacture these static homes?
All new ones that you purchase should have a set of test results with it?
Just carry out an EICR and be done with it, much easier that way, all "dead not death" test dones at your depot and live testing done on installation.

You will be able to carry out most of the dead tests in the depot, but obviously you can't do live tests without the supply which the caravan will be used on.
To issue certificates you will need to be a member of a competent persons scheme such as Elecsa or NICEIC - it would be advisable to check with them as to their specific requirements.

Would you care to expand on your reasoning for stating that Adam,I think being a scheme member would be neither here nor there unless the client specified one

Surely connecting a caravan to a CU would be notifiable given the new circuit and special location?
Considering this company does that kind of thing on a regular basis notifying LABC every time would be a very expensive business for the sake of making a point.

Surely connecting a caravan to a CU would be notifiable given the new circuit and special location?
Considering this company does that kind of thing on a regular basis notifying LABC every time would be a very expensive business for the sake of making a point.

Would be classified as commercial if it is on a holiday camp site and therefore not notifiable as it's not domestic.

Reply to static caravan test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net