Discuss Stick with 2357 or start 2356? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Floody

-
Reaction score
Right heres the situation im in...again.

Ive started 3 weeks ago doing lvl 2 2330 which will be mapped out into the 2357 in the next year or 2 with the college, so by the end of my time in college, ill have the 2357.
An employer has lightly touched upon me doing the 2356 with them, but personally I dont think I have enough experience as ive read it asks for 2 years experience in the industry, when I only have a year and thats MAINLY containment work. I think NVQ's are more suited to someone DOING the work regularly, and then getting the info together, not learning as you go go along and scrambling to get everything together you have just learnt.

Will 2357 be recognised by JIB? I asked my college all these questions last night, but none of them seem to have answers because the 2357 hasnt started with them yet. Im at Neath Port Talbot College.

Im not one of the ones that wants to jump into the trade quickly, like I say ive been working in it as a mate for a little over a year, I know how hard it is for sparks to find work. I very much like site work, not so much 'house' work, hence I would like the 2357 to be able to let me qualify for the JIB. So if anyon can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

why does the employer want you to do the 2356? you'll still have to go to college to do the technical certificates for the 2330. by the way, you'll still qualify for your jib card with the 2356 (+2330 levels 2 and 3). these qualifications, when combined, are equal in stature to the 2357 diploma. the only difference is the nvq and tech' cert's can be obtained separately if you go down the 2356 route. if you do want to change course, then you have until december to enrol on the 2356. you'll then have until 2015 to complete your nvq. more than enough time to build a portfolio.

Oh god this is so awkward.

These are my options...

1. Stick with college doing the 2357 for the next 3 years and workas a mate with a firm im at now.

2. Quit college and take a new firms offer of doing the 2356, working away shop fitting.

To be honest, I am a new starter to actual wiring etc... So to jump on an nvq and slum it...is basically taking the **** of people who put themselves through college and apprenticeships?

ah well to be honest i didn't realise you were on an apprenticeship already, i thought you were just doing the 2330.
i'd stay where you are then. why do you ask the question? do you think your job is safe for the next 3 years?
the 2357 will be recognised, it's the 2330 and 2356 rolled together

No im not on an apprenticeship, just a mate. DOing 2330 off my own back but the college will have mapped my work into the 2357 when it starts in a year.

Im thinking college is the better option as the NVQ is for people with a bit of knowledge behind them. 2357 is an nvq in itself but the performance parts come at theend....when i know a bit more.

so your working as a mate for a firm? and if your on the 2357, then is that not an apprenticeship, going to work, going to college at the same time?

Same sort of thing if u look at it that way, just a bit different in the colleges eyes. And being 23 with young'un and a house I coldnt live on a apprentice wage.

Theres 2394, 2395, 2396 running at a local college here, and now I hear of 2397.......will there be a 2398 as well? the 2394, 2395 and 2396 are all 5 days each.....so that's 15 days...

Hi Floody

This is an age old problem with what route to take to become a fully qualified electrician. You will probably get 10 different answers from 10 different people including the JIB etc.
Here is how i understand it, the new 2357 Diploma ( or the EAL equivalent ) is now the only route to becoming a fully qualified electrician. You will need the 2357 knowledge units, the performance units ( log book ) and an AM2 test. You can then be graded as an electrician by the JIB. Now before people pan me i know there is the old 2330 and the 2365, however these eventually map into the 2357. Be careful of attending a college just giving you the knowledge units, on their own they don't mean much on their own.Try to find a provider that does the full package, however this can be expensive if paying your own way.
Fair play though for not going down the part P route though fella. Be a spark in 5 weeks my a**se!

I really respect the effort the sparks have put in to becoming proper sparks by going down the correct and most educative route. These 5 week courses are a load of crap i wouldnt even entertain the idea of contemplating one. A minimum of 3 years should be done for ANY trade in my opinion. I think im gonna stick to 2357 and keep going as a mate.

ultimately, if your ambition is to own a jib card, then you'll have to stick with college. the jib insist on some kind of formal electrical training which means 2330 (+2356), 2357 or apprenticeship. this would rule out working away, for now, as each option requires attendance at college. have a word with your gaffer; tell him you want extra responsibilities and want to learn everything about the job. unless he's a complete git, i can't see any reason why he'd stonewall you. lots of luck to you mate, i hope it pans out for you.

Shagbites right.
if ive read it right you wouldnt be able to start the NVQ 3 without finishing 2330 or new equivalent first anyway

Reply to Stick with 2357 or start 2356? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net