Discuss Stranded 2.5mm T&E cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't find TLC prices that great...my local (21 miles away lol) independent wholesaler hammers them on price on everything, as do pretty much all wholesalers I have accounts with (YESSS, CEF, Mercers, Kew). All with free delivery, and generally same day if ordered before the van leaves.

Edit:
Then add in the costs of delivery to Northern Ireland and TLC is a total none event

Last edited:
Of course NI is a non event, but on the mainland they are very convenient, and generally they have stock at one or other of their depots, do you not have something that reliable in NI?

Its not so strange really that in SE England, TLC, Screwfix, Edmonds, Toolstation are never very far away from each other, certainly in Maidstone and Ashford all within a mile, In Maidstone TLC and Edmonds are opposite each other on the same industrial estate, Toolstation and Screwfix on the Estate next door almost.

While I've only been buying small amounts - mostly trunking, fixings etc at my last job when I occasionally got network install jobs to do, and now just occasionally for myself and our rental properties, I've found the local CEF branch really good. Staff really helpful, and often it ends up with "come back 'ere" and I get to see what they have on the shelves - makes things a lot easier when I'm not entirely certain what's going to work best for a job.
I recall they were pretty good when I'd be adding networking to some random dado trunking - the guys there would often be able to identify the make/version and get the backboxes in for me.
At my last job, it certainly helped that they were the closest (few minutes walk from the office).

have a read. Interesting. every day is a learning day.
Bear in miind that is for network, not power, cables.
Until they say:
And because the cross section of a stranded conductor is not all copper (there’s some air in there), they also have a higher DC resistance than solid cables.
WTF? Not the same CSA then!
For data cables - yes there can be a difference in CSA. For data, the physical characteristics can be more important (or at least as important) as the electrical ones. To do with ratio between conductor diameter and spacing which sets the characteristic impedance, or something like that - changes in impedance cause reflections. I know from testing that you can see all the connections down a network link when doing TDR/TDX* measurements.
  • TDR = Time Domain Reflectometry - send a pulse down a cable/pair and see what comes back on the same one.
  • TDX = Time Domain Crosstalk - send a pulse down one pair and see what comes back on another pair. Cross-talk is one of the most critical parameters with twisted pair network cabling.

Reply to Stranded 2.5mm T&E cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net