Discuss Stranded 2.5mm T&E cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Recently a couple of threads have discussed T&E cable and it became apparent to me that the 2.5mm, which I have only ever seen as solid core, is available with the live cores in 7-strand (rather like the old 7/.029" imperial size, though with solid CPC and not the 3-strand seen before). In fact CEF list it as available (but not stocked locally, as usual, and no maker information):

Does anyone know of specific use-cases where this is specified?

Has it simply been familiarity with previous installations using the stranded imperial size?

I find virtually nothing I want is in stock locally from CEF, but you can order it on free delivery (over £50), they apear to have some 15km of it in stock!

have a read. Interesting. every day is a learning day.

I find virtually nothing I want is in stock locally from CEF, but you can order it on free delivery (over £50), they apear to have some 15km of it in stock!
Indeed, I have found their web site is very good and delivery also prompt. But prices are "variable" and hardly handy for small items or if you discover you need it same day!

have a read. Interesting. every day is a learning day.
Until they say:
And because the cross section of a stranded conductor is not all copper (there’s some air in there), they also have a higher DC resistance than solid cables.
WTF? Not the same CSA then!

If they say "in stock" it helpfully means they might be able to get it tomorrow.
And the classic was when I ordered 45m of 3 core SWA online, and it turned up as 20m piece and a 25m piece.

Until they say:
And because the cross section of a stranded conductor is not all copper (there’s some air in there), they also have a higher DC resistance than solid cables.
The 2.5mm2 stranded is 7x 0.67mm dia conductors, which works out at 2.47mm2 CSA. Probably the 0.67mm dia is rounded, so that the cable is actually 2.50mm2 CSA. But the air would make the overall cable very slightly larger physically.

with a resin joint thrown in?
Nope! When I phoned they said they were showing 140m in stock but it was all in lengths of 25m or less.
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore - "Lengths" came to mind....
(for younger members - this is the sketch in question
)

On this one a joint would have had to be above ground surface clipped and even I have some standards.....

Last edited:
Recently a couple of threads have discussed T&E cable and it became apparent to me that the 2.5mm, which I have only ever seen as solid core, is available with the live cores in 7-strand (rather like the old 7/.029" imperial size, though with solid CPC and not the 3-strand seen before). In fact CEF list it as available (but not stocked locally, as usual, and no maker information):
From another thread
Just found this Datasheet

On page 3 it shows *H6242YST 2 x 2.5 Nominal stranding of conductor 7 / 0.67 & CPC 1 / 1.38 (1.5mm²)

So stranded 2.5 is still manufactured and the sheet also shows stranded 1.5
The datasheet is from Doncaster Cables website and they appear to be the only company listing it
Does anyone know of specific use-cases where this is specified?

Has it simply been familiarity with previous installations using the stranded imperial size?
Pilkingtons Glass always specified it for their offices although I've not done any electrical work on their offices for 25 -30 years found it more lucrative doing the CCTV, covert CCTV and alarm systems on their sites. Back in the early 80's when I came out of my time a new glass plant was being built in St Helens and once a week (Friday afternoon overtime ) for a number of weeks I had to go to AEI in Leigh and collect 4000m of 2.5 stranded T&E

I think some of specifications going back awhile called for only stranded cables to be used i.e. 6491x conduit cable and this was carried over into T&E where it was used

Until they say:

I read that part as being relevant to termination, rather than CSA - unless you tighten down and mash the strands, there may not be the same area in contact with terminal.

I find cef is absolutley useless unless you solely do domestic work, and even then it's probably crap
CEF has always been impersonal, over priced and inefficient. Must be at least a year since I’ve used them, especially with Rexel also doing web based order/deliver.

I've never trusted CEF and have very rarely used them after a manager at the local branch nearly exited the building through the plate glass window frontage of the branch with my help when he decided to slag me, my business partner and our company off when the trade counter had a number of customers in and that was 30ish years ago
I remember one of the big companies locally doing an audit and finding that CEF had overcharged them or sent invoices for goods not supplied to the tune of around £100k

I find CEF totally useless too.

Their website tells you there's a dozen of an item in stock at store, and a thousand ready for next day delivery. So you go to the store and ask for one of said item. The guy disappears for 20 minutes then comes back to tell you that they don't have any in stock, and they'll have to order it in from the manufacturers, which will take x number of days.

If by chance they do have it in stock, it will be absurdly overpriced.

(Sorry to the OP for turning this into a CEF bashing thread)

Last week, needed an earthing nut. Screwfix and toolstation were out. My usual merchants were out. CEF showed 80 in stock at local store. Turned up, waited 15 minutes, got told we can get you some tomorrow afternoon. No good need to finish this job today. Ok, have you got some brass nuts, bolts, washers, I’ll do it the old way. 20 minutes later a pack of ten each appeared and computer said £65. Manager was needed to sort out pricing. Finally left 40minutes later, £8 lighter with 2nd choice items.
It is absolutely my last resort place. I feel sorry for the staff who are all nice people but have to operate this useless machine.

I've never trusted CEF and have very rarely used them after a manager at the local branch nearly exited the building through the plate glass window frontage of the branch with my help when he decided to slag me, my business partner and our company off when the trade counter had a number of customers in and that was 30ish years ago
I remember one of the big companies locally doing an audit and finding that CEF had overcharged them or sent invoices for goods not supplied to the tune of around £100k
I've also found their accounting system to be incomprehensible, too. A statement may or not tally with the invoices in hand, payments made, running owed.... And it's not just me, my partner used to be finance director for a big concern in Scotland and she's always said as well that it was always CEF accounts they were questioning, never the other suppliers.

Everyone loves to hate CEF, but it's rare that local branches aren't busy. I do like their website and find that stock levels are generally accurate for local branches. Like everywhere else staff can be hit and miss - my main issue is high prices, but for some items they can be surprisingly reasonable.

Rexel is an unknown quantity but they do have a couple of branches over here (none close by) and (thanks to this thread I now know) they offer next day delivery. Just registered and looked at prices for a few things I need in the near future - not bad, but not could be better 😄

I find that Edmundsons are generally well priced and locally they keep an excellent stock - probably better than anyone else in this area on that front.

We have used Edmundsons and they are OK, sometimes better prices than Holland House, sometimes not.

I think there is a Rexel in Dundee but so far not looked at opening an account, etc, as we hardly do enough to justify the added effort.

Reply to Stranded 2.5mm T&E cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net