Discuss Strange Call Out This Evening in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RED~SIX

Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Had a quick call out to attend this evening. Currently closed but call was from a mum in need So I popped past with only my call out (light tools) in the car boot.

4 lights, one bathroom fan and a smoke alarm fed by a B6 MCB Protected also by an RCD.

Fault = no lights on the circuit working.
I quickly found the start and end of the circuit, so at the start I disconnected the loop so I could test the feed And work from light to light.
Using my fluke T5 the feed has the following:

Phase to earth = 240v
Phase to neutral = 35v
Neutral to earth 120v

the ceiling above is all a flat roof so no loft access.
I’m going back tomorrow for a proper look as I ran out of time.
Anyone had this type of fault before?

You have a good apparent line to earth reading. Other readings are not so if you remove line and earth from your latter readings you are left with neutral.

Had a quick call out to attend this evening. Currently closed but call was from a mum in need So I popped past with only my call out (light tools) in the car boot.

4 lights, one bathroom fan and a smoke alarm fed by a B6 MCB Protected also by an RCD.

Fault = no lights on the circuit working.
I quickly found the start and end of the circuit, so at the start I disconnected the loop so I could test the feed And work from light to light.
Using my fluke T5 the feed has the following:

Phase to earth = 240v
Phase to neutral = 35v
Neutral to earth 120v

the ceiling above is all a flat roof so no loft access.
I’m going back tomorrow for a proper look as I ran out of time.
Anyone had this type of fault before?
Any IR testing done?

details to follow - I have not bee able to revisit as the lady has gone back to work, i'm going back on new years eve.
I have rigged her up some temp lights.

The OP I believe has established that it is the supply cable from the the CU to the first light point which is faulty.

Hopefully it will be a broken wire in the CU or a joint in between, not so good.

Reply to Strange Call Out This Evening in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net